6. What is the difference between Google
Apps and GAFE?
What is Google Apps?
Google Apps is a suite of Google applications that brings together essential
services to help your business or school. This is a hosted service that lets
businesses, schools, and institutions use a variety of Google products --
including Email, Google Docs, Google Calendar, and Google Talk -- on a
unique domain (e.g., www.yourcompany.com).
If you own the domain example.com and you sign up for Google Apps
services, everyone at your organization will get:
● A custom email address (email@example.com)
● Tools for word processing
● Spreadsheets and presentations
● A shared calendaring system
● Tools for creating web pages and sites for your business
● Access to a flexible intranet system
● And much, much more!
What’s the difference between a Google account & a Google Apps account?
What is Google Apps?
Google Apps is a free suite of web-based collaboration and
● Google docs
● Google calendar
● G Mail
● Google forms
● Google spreadsheet
Don’t forget about all the other great Google products, such as Google
Maps, Blogger, YouTube, Google Groups, Google Scholar, Chrome
(Google’s innovative web browser) and much more.
12. Sandpit time - Have a go
● Create a document
● Give your document a title
● Explore the top tool bar - can you insert a picture?
● Add a hyperlink?
● Can you use the ‘tools’?
● Can you leave a comment on your document?
● Share your document with someone in this session
Depending on your prior knowledge and experience, we are going to try a
couple of things when creating a google word doc...
31. Google Presentations
- Free, collaborative,accessible
- Real time viewing
- Can add YouTube clips,
images, text, hyperlinks
- Imports pps/pptx
- Downloads to pptx, PDF,
Why... How it could be used...
Sourced from C. Tuckers Wordpress Blog http://catlintucker.com/2013/09/5-ideas-for-using-google-presentations-with-students-bonus-videos-included/
33. Research inside of Docs
Highlight a word and right or
double click. Select
‘Research...’. The research
and images appear in the
right hand side of the
Or download and use the
34. Matariki Presentation Example
This project will allow students to collaborate on the work involved in learning
new vocabulary for any subject area.
As individuals or in pairs, they can research a term and report their findings on
one slide in a Google Presentation. As each term is defined on a separate
slide, the presentation grows, creating a collaborative project that can be
reviewed with the entire class.
Have a go
35. Check out this collaborative google presentation
39. ● Create a form
● Give your form a title
● Add a variety of questions
● Add a YouTube clip
● Add an image
● If possible EMBED into your blog/website or send
embedded into an email to others
Have a go
42. Video Notes
Go to Create, at the bottom is
Connect more apps.
Search for Video Notes
You can add a YouTube video
to the left by URL, then take
notes on the right. It syncs the
notes with the video timing so
you can easily find parts of the
video to revisit.
43. Benefits of using Google Apps
● little maintenance, no service providers
● privacy & security managed by a trusted company
● backs up, saves automatically
● frees up server space
● efficiencies for staff & students
● part of a global product
● staff & students work in the same platform