Since its founding in 1917, Doukas School has always tried to keep up with the latest trends in
education. In a setting of over 10 acres, with facilities amongst the best in design and construction,
Doukas School offers to its 2000 student body (K-12) one of the finest educational and athletic programs
in the country.
• Founded in: 1917
• Employees: 550
• ~2000 students
• Grades: Kindergarten, Primary &
• Secondary School, Ι.Β.
• Departments: Quality Assurance,
Human Resources, Communications
office, Career Counseling,
Physical Education, IT.
We believe in Traditional Values
we move towards Progress.
We incorporated the “School of the Future” philosophy
into our multi-leveled educational organization.
Our aim is to improve the quality of services offered and to
meet the expectations and needs of our students, their parents,
our employees and the society.
“Children work individually or collaborate in teams.
They create and manage their own knowledge."
“Teams are created according to the students’
interests - not their age“.
“A counselor supports students in their team work."
“The class is a big lab with different work stations.“
“In the library, students work in teams to collect
information from written and electronic sources
in order to evaluate, analyse and use them in a
“They communicate electronically– for example ,
with Greek students in Australia, about their
common history or with a professor at the
University of Cambridge."
“Afternoon classes are dedicated to athletic or
“Parents and teachers communicate electronically."
“Parents can have access to their children’s electronic
Konstantinos I. Doukas
Leonardo da Vinci said:
“… Studying without any desire to learn
locks our memory up, which does not retain any kind of knowledge…”
The interactive material and the friendly software,
which teachers are provided with,
enhance their lessons,
create multiple representations to students,
in order to motivate and help them assimilate what they are taught.
Very motivating 15%
Slightly motivating 29,7%
Not motivating 33%
73, 5% of students answered that they are obliged to study
Only one out of 5 (19, 78%) believe that such a process mentally fulfills
them much fever (6, 7%) study out of pleasure
We stress the qualitative dimension of learning.
Our main interest is “how” students learn
(not “what” and “how much” they learn).
We encourage this type of learning through:
to students’ needs
and takes into Shares a common
consideration vision with
parents’ views Educators
The Tablet PC is the “Tool” for…
• explore ideas
• complete – implement complex tasks –
• construct real knowledge
• build authentic and relevant learning
• share collectively and collaboratively
• improve learning experience – potential
• doing things that we could not do before
• provide individual – personalized learning
expression General Use Tool:
Interactive educational material:
research , construction listening, dialogue.
How do we achieve this result?
• Through innovations in the curriculum
• By continuously training our educators
• By carrying out surveys with our students, parents,
educators and studying the outcomes
• By cultivating basic 21st Century Competences in
Mapping of 21st Competences
Combining knowledge, skills and values
Teaching models and 1:1
Moving from a more teacher - centered to team - collaborative
One student – one tablet
Classroom of the Future, Educational Model 1:1
Young people have their say in their careers
They manage effectively their goals
Aiming at helping our students to develop a many faceted personality,
raising awareness, instilling values
and ethos with respect to contemporary social conditions…
Our objective is to design and build the “School of the
Future” (SoF) progressively, through a developing
• register the current and future educational
• study the international experience and
• prepare the new technological infrastructure
• prepare our teachers;
• collect/create the appropriate educational
The School of the Future, as we plan, design and
create it, is a combination of the past, the present
and the future. Parents participate actively in the
educational process. Students change from
passive recipient and participate actively in
educational events. Teachers become
collaborators and guides, they organise, inspire
and create hands-on activities.
In our "Classroom of the Future"
students carry a light-weight
portable "electronic schoolbag"
and are connected wirelessly to
the interactive whiteboard of
their classroom, the internet and
the “electronic” tools of their
The classroom can take many
forms (such as “traditional” class,
“laboratory” or “collaborative”).
The classroom arrangement can
easily change thanks to the
wireless equipment and portable
This "electronic" schoolbag (Tablet
PC) contains all their books and
hand-outs as well as virtual labs,
simulations, multimedia material,
their schoolwork and all tools
connected to the educational
process. The "Classroom of the
Future" is also supported by a
190 Sound files
52 GB storage
1. I comfortably use my Tablet PC
2. I can easily find my books and notes in my Tablet PC
3. I write notes on my Tablet PC with stylus without any difficulty
4. I write my notes with the keyboard without any difficulty
5. My schoolbag is lighter now with the Tablet PC
6. I would prefer to carry in school only the Tablet PC
7. I have understood the importance of back up copies for my work in my Tablet PC
8. I install applications or games in my Tablet PC that are not relevant to my school
9. The screen of Tablet PC makes my eyes feel tired
10. I would like more information regarding the existing threats on the internet
Χρεζηκοποηώ ηολ Μπορώ λα Γράθω ηης Γράθω ηης Από ηε κέρα ποσ ζα προηηκούζα Έτω θαηαιάβεη Εγθαζηζηώ Η οζόλε ηοσ Μ.Υ. Θα ήζεια
Μ.Υ. κοσ κε βρίζθω εύθοια ηα ζεκεηώζεης κοσ ζεκεηώζεης κοσ έτω ηολ Μ.Υ. ηε λα κεηαθέρω ηε τρεζηκόηεηα εθαρκογές ή θοσράδεη ηα κάηηα περηζζόηερε
άλεζε βηβιία θαη ηης ζηολ Μ.Υ. κε ηε κε ηο ηζάληα κοσ είλαη κόλο ηολ Μ.Υ. ηωλ αληηγράθωλ παητλίδηα ζηολ κοσ. ελεκέρωζε
ζεκεηώζεης κοσ γραθίδα τωρίς πιεθηροιόγηο πηο ειαθρηά. ζηο ζτοιείο. αζθαιείας Μ.Υ. ποσ δελ ζτεηηθά κε ηοσς
ζηολ Μ.Υ. δσζθοιία. τωρίς κεγάιε (backup) γηα ηε τρεζηκοποηούληαη θηλδύλοσς ποσ
δσζθοιία. δοσιεηά κοσ ζηολ ζηα καζήκαηά σπάρτοσλ ζηο
Μ.Υ. κοσ. δηαδίθησο.
• Makes the lesson more interesting and fun, having lessons her e
feels like playing…
• No matter what mistake you make, you press a button and you
delete it, you don’t have to use an eraser or correction fluid….
• Sometimes at the weekends, I watch videos with my dad videos
from the school multimedia material…
• When I bought the computer I thought it wouldn’t be useful at all.
When classes started though, I realized it was a valuable tool.
I was impressed by how fast my teachers learned !!!
Damian Bebell & Rachel Kay (2010)
A Summary of the Quantitative Results from the Berkshire Massachusetts
Wireless Learning Initiative
by the School of Education – Boston College
Duration: 3 years (2005 – 2008)
Number of Schools: 5 Schools, Masachuset state – ΗΠΑ
Grades:mainly 3 grades – 6th grade (elementary), 7th-8th (high school). - Students: 1500
Silvernail David (2011)
L. and the MLTI Research and Evaluation Team, A Middle School One-to-One Laptop Program
The Maine Experience, Maine Education Policy Research Institute, University of Southern Maine
Duration: 8 years (2002 – 2010)
Number of schools: 240 high schools in the state of Maine – U.S.A.
Grades: 1st,2nd high school (7th, 8th) Students: 25.000+
• Student engagement, attention span, interest, motivation and production
have increased spectacularly.
• Student organize better and improve the quality of their assignments,
• The educators have concluded that students have a wider range of choices with
regards to their personal learning style (learner-centered approach was
• The educators have noticed improvement in students’ independent learning skills
• Students’ performance has improved in areas where teachers focus on content
and skills development with the aid of technology.
• Using focused educational material has improved students’ performance.
We are on the right… path
Our goal: To constantly improve