What is diversity?
Diversity is generally defined as Acknowledging,
understanding, accepting, valuing and
celebrating differences among people with
respect to age, class, ethnic, gender, physical
and mental ability, race, spiritual practices and
public assistance status.
The ways we are different; the condition of having
unique characteristics. The condition of being
diverse: Variety; especially the inclusion of diverse
people (as people of different races or cultures) in a
group or organization.
What is Inclusion?
The action or state of including or of being included
within a group or structure.
Promote Diversity and Inclusion 2
• Hiring people from different backgrounds
• Conscious efforts to hire a wide range of diverse
• Ensure that no one is favoured while no one faces
discrimination for being 'different’
• Managers should be trained on what can and
cannot be asked in an interview.
• Maintaining their integrity
• Create safe environment for all employees
• Protect employees from harassment and
• Encourage employees to work in diverse groups
• Set one standard of rules for all groups of
employees regardless of background
• ensure that they effectively communicate with
Diversity management is a process intended to create and maintain a positive
work environment where the similarities and differences of individuals are
How we support diversity and inclusion
in Community Services Australia
• support flexible working arrangements such as part time work and flexible hours
• provide training for staff including Indigenous Cultural Awareness, Disability Awareness and
Mental Health First Aid
• support women as an accredited Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace. Provide women the space,
time and support to breastfeed or express at work
• support our LGBTI+ staff with inclusive HR policies
• celebrate days and events to promote diversity awareness and inclusion
• support diversity specific employee networks for staff to connect and share their views,
experiences and information.
To be a successful community worker,
you must recognize the importance of
someone's background. This critical
lens impacts how a client sees and
reacts to the world. Race, religious
identity, sexual orientation, gender
identity and expression, disability, and
English proficiency are just some of
these defining influences.