SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
What is it
Events during the Open
Access week 2018:
OSRT/2018/noticia_micro_mooc_2018.html Open Science
A world wide
events, and also…
Open access/open science high in the political agenda
Objectives of the module
• Introduce the approaches, tools and common practices of Open
• Raise awareness about concomitant terms (Open Notebook, Open
Data, Open Research Software, Open Access), as they can directly
enrich each step of the scholarly lifecycle.
• Situate research outputs in the context of shared economy and
values of openness.
Open Science 6
Today: a snapshot > Module will made fully available on
iPEN’s digital environment
Open Science 8
Section 1: openness
Section 2: Openness in research: why?
Section 3: What is open science?
Section 4: open access to scientific publications
Section 5: Other forms of publishing
Section 6: open access to data
Section 7: choosing the right medium(s) to release your research
Section 8: Research ethics
Section 9: FAIR data management
Section 10: Open Science and research workflow
Section 11: Open research summary
Let’s get started!
Will be dealt with today
• How familiar you are
with the term?
• What are the concepts
that come to your mind
when you hear “open
Why Open Science?
The concept of Responsible Research and Innovation
(RRI) is an approach which intends to bridge gaps between
science, research and innovation communities and society
at large by fostering more inclusive, anticipatory, open and
responsive research and innovation systems.
"Responsible research and innovation is an approach that
anticipates and assesses potential implications and societal
expectations with regard to research and innovation, with the aim
to foster the design of inclusive and sustainable research and
Why Open Science?
Open science as a societal change:
“RRI is implemented as a package that includes multi-
actor and public engagement in research and
innovation, enabling easier access to scientific
results, the take up of gender and ethics in the research
and innovation content and process, and formal and
informal science education”https://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/node/766
What is open science?
Open Science 12
Open Science 13
from FOSTER EU project
Open access routes
Open Science 14
Credit: European Commission, 2017
2 routes to open access: green and gold
• Self-archiving / 'green' open access – the author, or a representative,
archives (deposits) the published article or the final peer-reviewed
manuscript in an online repository before, during or after publication.
• Open access publishing / 'gold' open access - an article is published
immediately in open access mode. This includes a fee (Article
Processing Charges, APCs) borne by the researcher's university or
research institute or the agency funding the research.
Open Science 15
Quizz: is self-archiving and
publishing the same thing?
Open Science 16
Choosing the right medium(s) to release
There are several publicly accessible spaces where publications
can be uploaded and shared, such as
• The online repository of your institution
and figshare for open data.
What are their differences? Which ones do you use?
Open Science 17
The Open access requirement in EU
• release all scientific results (publications) in open access; full
justification in case of impossibility to do so
• since 2018 the same applies to data (Data Management Plans a
condition for eligibility of EU funded proposals). The piloting phase
where open access to data was optional, is over.
Open Science 18
Creating a Data Management Plan
Understanding and creating a Data
Management Plan (DMP)
Open Science 19
What advantages and
disasvantages do you see in
open science? Post-it session
Open Science 20
EU indicative resources
• A comprehensive website on Open access in the European Union
• Open Access and Data Management in the European Union
• European Open Science Cloud http://ec.europa.eu/research/openscience/index.cfm?pg=open-science-
• Open Science and Responsible Research and Innovation (RRI) principle: the ORION project
• An outstanding project on Open Science in Europe: FOSTER project https://www.fosteropenscience.eu
• OPENAIRE: a project supporting the implementation of Open Access in Europe
Open Science 21
All slides available at https://www.slideshare.net/Web2Learn_eu
• Understanding and creating a Data Management Plan (DMP):
https://dmponline.dcc.ac.uk and https://dmptool.org
• The Open Science taxonomy, FOSTER project
• What is open science?PhD TV