3. What is a Façade System?
- “Facade” which describes the face of
- One side of the building.
- Architectural aesthetics & function.
- Examples: Masonry, Curtain Walling,
Precast Concrete Panels.
- Cladding or building facade
- Skin of the building, separator between
exterior and interior.
- Lighter compared to other facade
system such as masonry and precast.
- Non - load bearing.
- Examples: Vision glass, Aluminium
4. Types of curtain wall
Stick Built Curtain Wall
Fabricated in the factory and shipped in
pieces to site for installation.
- Have higher site labor costs
- Installation is done outdoors in full
exposure to the weather
Unitized curtain wall
Fabricated and assembled at the
manufacturer’s shop, then shipped to the site
- Controlled environment improves
curtain wall durability
- Time required for installation is greatly
6. 200 11TH AVENUE - Residential Building
Location : West Chelsea, New York City , United State
Architect: Selldorf Architects
Completion time : 2011, 3 years
Material of facade system : Stainless Steel and
Building structure:The 19-story building consists of a
16-story tower supported by a 3-story plinth.
7. Angel Hair Stainless Steel
Angel Hair is a custom metal polish developed
to soften the high-reflectivity of standard grain
Angel hair surface is an innovation to scatter
light particles and prevent glaring hot spots.
The Angel Hair surface is the finest, smoothest
and most uniform light-diffusion metal surface
available in the world.
ANGEL HAIR STAINLESS STEEL
VIBRATION FINISH BY INDUSTRY MANUFACTURERS
8. Stainless Steel Rainscreen Cladding
The tower's custom-fabricated stainless steel
rain screen appears above a ceramic-clad
The architectural language of the plinth
matches the rain screen above, which brings
an ornate aspect to an otherwise orthogonal
DETAIL OF THE 200 ELEVENTH AVENUE STAINLESS STEEL FACADE.
9. Curve Connection
Ribbon-like quality and depth of the stainless
steel architectural is formed by smart
connections and high-end metalwork.
The curve connection of stainless steel
cladding is highly crafted and finished with
premium stainless steel surface known as the
Angel Hair surface which has high reflectivity
of standard finishes.
10. Advantages & Disadvantages
✔ Excellent building performance index
✔ Easy installation and quicker construction
✔ Convenient maintenance
✗ Recommended to buy only from established,
✗ High initial cost
✗ Required skilled labour
Stainless Steel Cladding
✔ Resist Corrosion
✔ Durability & technical properties
✔ Environmental Benefits
✗ Selection of powder is essential
✗ Lack of flexibility, shapes and
12. 100 11th AVENUE - Residential Building
Location :West Chelsea, New York City , United
Architect: Jean Nouvel
Completion Time: 2010, 3 years
Material of facade system : Low-e glass system
13. Vision Glass - Low - E Glass
Transparent glass with Low - E Coatings.
Developed to minimize the amount of ultraviolet and
infrared light that can pass through the glass.
Low E glass has the ability of a material to radiate
energy is called its emissivity.
14. Installation process
1 - Transport to site
2 - Lift the panel
3 - Workers receiving the panel
4 - Install the panels using clip system
15. Mega Panel Clips
- Clip system to clip the panel properly
- Ensure equal load distribution
- 3 - 4 clips per horizontal span
17. Effects of Facade
- Total of 165 mega panels in the facade.
- 32 individually window frames tilted in
random direction which can create the
glistening effect on the facade
- The angle of rotation varies from two to