How are you today learner? In your previous module you have
learned about active and passive voice. Today, you will learn more
about verbs-the verbs used to express desires.
This module will help you learn about words used to express
desires – hope and wish.
Copy these sentences on a piece of paper. Fill in the blanks with
hope/hopes or wish/wishes to express desires. Here are some
- I wish I were rich.
- She hopes to graduate this year.
1. My friends __________ to go to other planets.
2. I __________ to get high grades this grading period.
3. Our teacher always __________ to have well-behaved pupils every
4. Father __________ to tour around the world.
5. He __________ to save more this year.
To the Learner
Let’s Try This
Let’s Learn This
How did you find the pre-test?
Are your answers like these?
( 1. wish 2. hope 3. hope 4. wishes 5. hopes)
Don’t worry Learner if you did not get a perfect score. This
module will help you learn when to use words like hope and wish
Read the dialog.
Let’s Study This
I wish I were a fairy. If I were
a fairy, I would use my wand
to change these dirty places
into a paradise.
I hope all citizens
would take care of
their own garbage so
we will have a clean
Answer the questions.
1. What does Lina wish?
2. What does Lito hope?
3. Do you have the same desires with Lina and Lito?
4. As a student, how will you help make our surroundings clean?
Read the sentences taken from the dialog.
I wish I were a fairy. If I were a fairy, I would use my wand to
change these dirty places into a paradise.
I hope all citizens will take care of their own garbage so we will
have a clean environment.
- What words did Lina and Lito use to express their desire?
o Lina used wish while Lito used hope.
- When do we use wish? Hope?
o Wish is used for desires unlikely to happen. The past form
of verbs could, would, had, and were is used with wish.
1. I wish I were a king.
2. Mary wishes she could swim in the Pacific Ocean.
• If only can also be used to express desires unlikely to happen.
1. If only the birds can talk, they would tell us how
wonderful it is to fly in the sky.
• Hope is used for desires likely to happen. The present form of
verbs like can, will and have is used with hope.
1. I hope I can go to school tomorrow.
2. Sheila hopes Mother will come home earlier tonight.
A. Fill the blanks with wish/wishes or hope/hopes to express
desires. Do this in your notebook.
1. Our teachers __________ that we will finish our projects today.
2. I __________ I can be an effective teacher someday.
3. I __________ I could fly to the moon.
4. The president __________ that she could answer all the problems
of Filipino people.
5. Jerry __________ that he can also be a part of the campaign for
B. Identify whether the sentences express desires that likely or
unlikely to happen. Write them in their proper columns.
Desires Likely to Happen Desires Unlikely to Happen.
Let’s Do This
1. Jenny hopes forest guards will do their jobs well.
2. Joshua hopes illegal loggers will be apprehended and jailed.
3. Allan wishes he could be the king of the forests so he could
4. If only the trees could talk, they would ask for a more strict form
of punishment for illegal loggers.
5. I wish I could protect the trees in the forest.
Check your answers against the Answer Key.
What’s your score?
If you got 8-10, go to the next module.
If you got 7 and below, do the next activity.
Fill the blanks with correct words to express desires. Choose from
the words inside the box. Do the activity on a piece of paper.
1. My parent __________ that I will pass the test.
2. I __________ that could finish high school in two years.
3. __________ I could climb Mt. Everest.
Let’s Do More
wish if only would
hope could can
will were had
When do we use wish and hope?
Wish is used for desires unlikely to happen, the past
form of verbs like could, would, had, and were is used
If only can also be used to express desire unlikely to
1. I wish I had magic powers so that I could help all
the poor people.
2. If only I could be a millionaire, I would buy all the
things that my poor pupils need.
Hope is used for desires likely to happen. The verbs
like can, will, and have are used with hope.
1. She hopes she can graduate this year.
2. I hope our pupils will study the hard everyday.
4. The people wish they __________ touch the skies.
5. Children hope that they __________ still have tress to climb on in
Let’s Remember This
Answer √ if the sentence expresses a desire likely to happen and
X if it expresses a desire unlikely to happen. Do this on a sheet of
paper. Number 1 is done for you.
___X__1. I wish I were a fish so that I could swim in the water.
______ 2. We hope that you can attend our music classes tomorrow.
______ 3. I wish I were a bird so I could fly to all the places I’ve never
______ 4. If only polluted rivers could talk, they would surely tell us how
people treated them.
______ 5. I hope you will be here again next month.
______ 6. Children wish they had super powers.
Look at the Answer Key again then check your work.
How many correct answers did you get?
If you got 4-5, that’s great! Proceed to the next module.
If you got 3 and below, answer Let’s Enrich Ourselves.
Let’s Test Ourselves
Answer each question in complete sentences. Do this in your
notebook. Look at the example.
What do you hope for before taking a test?
I hope that I can answer all the questions.
1. What do parents hope for their children?
2. What does a blind person wish he or she could do?
3. What does a pupil hope when she goes to school?
4. If you were a super hero, what do you wish you would do?
5. What do teachers hope for their pupils?
Let’s Do This
Desires Likely to Happen Desires Unlikely to Happen
1. Jenny hopes forest guards
will do their jobs well.
2. Joshua hopes illegal loggers
will be apprehended and
3. Allan wishes he could be the
king of the forests so he
could protect them.
4. If only the trees could talk,
they would ask for more
strict form of punishment for
5. I wish I could protect the
trees in the forest.
Let’s Do More
3. if only
Let’s Test Ourselves
Let’s Enrich Ourselves
1. Parents hope their children can/will finish their studies.
2. A blind person wishes he/she could see the beautiful things
3. A pupil hopes to learn how to read and write.
4. I wish I could help the needy.
5. The teachers hope that their pupils will learn in school.
(Let the teacher check your work. You may have different answers.)