5. Everybody’s recipe is slightly different (around
0.1%). This is what makes you an individual.
These gingerbread people are the same, but
also have differences because their recipe is
6. But, if we were to use pepper instead of
ginger when making gingerbread people,
the recipe would be wrong.
7. The same can happen to humans. If
somebody’s gene recipe changes, it may
cause their body to become ill.
13. DNA is short for deoxyribonucleic acid. DNA can
be found inside a cell that contains a nucleus.
Within the nucleus, there are 23 pairs of different sized
chromosomes. DNA, which is tightly coiled around
bead-like structures of a protein called histone, forms
the chromosomes. A gene is a section of DNA that
contributes to a function.
14. Cells that contain a nucleus are called eukaryotic cells and
can be found in any body tissue (the brain, heart, muscles),
the base of hair follicles, white blood cells etc.
Red blood cells start out with a nucleus, however, when they
reach maturity in their life-cycle, they eject the nucleus.