Edsp 524 or 528 - week 4 -- para educator presentation
Concordia University Online
• Working with paraeducators is going to be a key aspect of your position. Most first-year special education teachers
do not have the experience to work with paraeducators. When you complete this assignment you will have an
initial resource to reduce some of the logistics related to the support and organization of paraeducators.
• Create a multimedia (Prezi, PowerPoint, Moviemaker) presentation with 20 - 25 slides. Orient this presentation
toward familiarizing paraeducators with their roles and responsibilities in the classroom setting as they are
interacting with general education students, general education teachers, and other related service members (i.e.
speech therapists, occupational therapists, etc.), and students with disabilities. Address the following areas in your
• Philosophical historical and legal foundations of SPED
• Function and key elements of the IEP
• Learner characteristics
• Purposes of assessment and evaluation
• Culture, ethnicity, and diversity
• Instructional effectiveness
• Teaching strategies
• Confidentiality, ethics, and school safety
• Paraeducator’s duty to engage in professional development
• Include the following as you are developing your presentation:
• A brief summary of the importance each of the ten concepts listed above.
• A plan to provide paraeducator staff development related to the concept.
• A plan to determine the effectiveness of the staff development activity.
• At least two references from the professional literature related to supporting and supervising paraeducators.
• Speaker notes as necessary.
• Apply APA style throughout the presentation. Support your statements with evidence from the required studies
and your research.