1. Verbs Verbs Verbs
• Verbs are words that express an action OR
state of being, and they are an essential
part of a complete sentence.
• A sentence is a group of words with a
subject (noun/pronoun) and a verb (tells
what the subject is doing).
2. If you can do it, it is an action verb!
3. Linkingverbsconnecta subjectwitha word
orwordsin the sentence.
appear, become, feel, grow, look
, remain, stay, smell, sound
surprised at the news.
seem, taste, turn, am, is, are, wa
s, were, be, being, been
Kiera seems happy today.
4. Helpingverbs workwith the main verb to
am, is, are, was, were, be, do, do
es, did, have, had, has
We have learned so
much in this class.
may, might, must, shall, will, can
, should, would, could ought
We might win the race if
6. Present Tense
It is happening NOW!
• Jackie cooks breakfast.
• Rayvon sings every morning.
• Tyrone walks a mile everyday.
• Caesar watches the television.
• Lindsey washes the dishes.
• Students hurry from the building.
• The boys sing every morning.
To make a verb, “singular” add an “s”
7. Past Tense
The action has already happened ...It’s
completed, finished , over!!!
• The police talked to the robbers.
• Keira submitted her paragraph to the drop-box.
• We attended the live lecture yesterday.
• To make most regular verbs past tense, add “ed”
Last Week Yesterday
Once upon a
8. Future Tense
It will happen in the future – has not taken place
• The students will study for the final.
• I shall fly in an airplane someday.
• I will pass this class.
• I will call my instructor for help.
*helping verbs “will”
9. Past, Present or Future???
• We went for a
• Scott will be
driving me to
• I am doing my
• Daniel will be
coming to dinner
• went=past tense
• will be driving= future
• am doing=present tense
• will be coming=future
10. Practice with
Past, Present, and Future!
I go to the movies with my friends. PRESENT
I went to the movies with my friends. PAST
I will go to the movies with my friends. FUTURE