We will share the slides and recording of this session with you via
email later today.
Dial in audio access: +1 669 900 6833
Any questions we are not able to answer live or in the Q&A will
be addressed after the session via a follow-up.
If you need further assistance, please reach out to
email@example.com. Our support team is amazing!
5. Margie Worrell
Margie Worrell is the Curriculum Manager at
Bloomerang. She serves on the board of the
Peace Learning Center in Indianapolis, and
has worked extensively with nonproﬁts as
both a staﬀ member and a lead volunteer.
Her passions include education, theatre, her
two children and her two small dogs.
6. What will we
● Volunteer Recruitment and Retention
● Bloomerang Volunteer–admin view
○ Is Volunteer Management right for
○ The Bloomerang Admin Experience
● Bloomerang Volunteer–volunteer view
○ Getting into the mind of a volunteer
○ The Bloomerang Volunteer
INTO THE DATABASE WE GO!
● Resources you can use
Estimate how much of the work your
organization does involves volunteers:
d.) 75-nearly 100%
9. If you are
get and keep
are not alone.
33% of volunteer managers
recruitment as their biggest
challenge in 2023.
How to Create a Volunteer Recruitment Plan: 5 Strategies
11. Training your
Training and knowing what to expect can help volunteers
feel prepared and at ease.
Keep these volunteer training best practices in mind:
● Allow volunteers to complete training on their own
time by offering online training modules and videos.
● Offer practical training tips and advice for scenarios
volunteers may potentially encounter.
● Acknowledge when a volunteer has successfully
completed the training process so that they know
they can begin signing up for shifts.
● Track where each volunteer is in the training process
using your volunteer database so you don’t
accidentally require them to repeat any exercises.
Should you opt for in-person training, we have provided
great tips for that as well! (see links to the left)
The Smart Nonprofit’s Guide to Volunteer Management
How to Host an Effective, Engaging Volunteer Orientation
12. Stewarding and
It’s about relationship-building!
Continue to build those relationships
you have worked hard to establish:
● Recognize your volunteers (put ideas in the
chat for how you do this!)
● Make continued volunteering easy for your
● Get to know your volunteers like you do your
● Ask for their feedback and try to implement
14. How do we know if a
system right for us?
15. Consider these points. Can you relate?
● Volunteer experience is important to
● Finding and managing volunteers
currently feels overwhelming
● Volunteers are organized through
multiple tools and it’s hard to see
everything in the same place (or you
just don’t like your current software!)
● There are many moving parts (shifts,
volunteers and other data) to manage
your processes without automation
16. Solving Common Volunteer Management Challenges
● Manual/ Repetitive
● Key communication
● Schedule Management
Flexible to Program Needs
● Multiple programs with
● Capturing the right
data & information for
Simple to Learn & Use
● Administrators coming
off of standard ofﬁce
● Older demographic/
non tech savvy
● Transitional Features
HARD TO USE
19. Volunteer recruitment
● Build a beautifully branded volunteer
● Gather key information online with
● Collect volunteer waivers,
certiﬁcation documents, and
20. Volunteer scheduling
● Create schedules your way, with
multiple calendar and list views,
ﬁlters, and bulk actions.
● Match the right volunteer to the right
role and shift with Bloomerang
● Empower volunteers to view and sign
up for their preferred activities and
21. Engaging mobile
● Using the Bloomerang Volunteer
Mobile App, view the entire master
schedule and respond to schedule
problems in an instant.
● Keep your team informed with
automated notiﬁcations and shift
● Two-way communications to keep
22. Data management &
● Collect and manage all your volunteer
● Measure your impact with advanced
service time reporting and hours
● Easily ﬁlter, review, and report on
your volunteer program data to help
you secure funding.
23. Backend Beneﬁt: Proﬁle Data Sync (Two-way)
with Bloomerang Donor
Date of Birth
Date of Birth
24. Return on
Some of our customer experiences of note:
● Saved up to 70% of administration time
● Increased volunteer retention by up to 25%
● Decreased 30% of your volunteer no-shows
● Reduced data errors by 50%
26. Volunteering through the eyes of the
● 35% of respondents to a 7,000-person volunteer survey said one
of the reasons they volunteer is to socialize.
● 96% of volunteers claim they feel a sense of purpose, therefore
happier and healthier!
● One-third of daily volunteers also said they volunteer “to build
their skills in a particular area.”
● 70% of corporate volunteers believe volunteerism boosts morale
more that company mixers.
Volunteers know that what they do is important for many compelling
reasons. They ﬁnd intrinsic motivation to volunteer.
So what is keeping them from it?
27. Reason people do not volunteer or leave
● Problem 1: “I don’t have enough information and most
volunteer roles aren’t interesting”
● Problem 2: “I don’t have enough time and volunteer
schedules are too inﬂexible”
● Problem 3: “No one asked me to”
Reasons not to volunteer vary, but the good news is we can mitigate
many of them. Most revolve around TIME, INFORMATION and a feeling of
So how do we resolve those issues for our volunteers?
28. Ways to help mitigate issues
1. Offer incentives
2. Provide a wide range of ways to get
3. Conduct face-to-face recruitment at local
4. Ask existing volunteers to bring a friend
5. Create opportunities for
micro-volunteering (smaller time chunks)
6. Re-engage former volunteers
A strong volunteer management system can help resolve these issues,
easier and more efﬁciently. It can bring in more volunteers to give you
the people-power you need, and they can be potential donors when
given the right experiences. https://memberclicks.com/blog/volunteer-r
7. Use social media more strategically
8. Send direct messages on LinkedIn
9. Place ads in local media outlets such as
TV, radio, and newspapers
10. Find a corporate partner
11. Make it simple to register for
12. Reach out to donors
View Data Synced from
Track Volunteer activity
10 Ways To Find New Donors For Your Nonproﬁt
The Role of Volunteering in Philanthropy
Fundraising Planning and Climate Report
7 Best Practices for Effective Donor
How to Create a Volunteer Recruitment Plan: 5
The Smart Nonproﬁt’s Guide to Volunteer
9 Proven Volunteer Retention Strategies for
How to Host an Effective, Engaging Volunteer
33. Thank you for attending!
Visit our website to see more upcoming
Bloomerang Academy webinars!