I will this night, in several hands, in at his windows throw,
As if they came from several citizens, Writings all tending to the great opinion
That Rome holds of his name; wherein obscurely Caesar's ambition shall be glanced at
william shakespeare - Julius Caesar, 1599
22. ‣ Companies now use "persona management software"
‣ This software creates all the online furniture a real person
would possess: a name, email accounts, web pages and
‣ Fake accounts can be kept updated by automatically
reposting or linking to content generated elsewhere
‣ Human astroturfers can then be assigned these "pre-aged"
accounts to create a back story
‣ Software can create "static IP addresses" for each persona,
enabling different astroturfers "to look like the same person
‣ The US Army is building such software
50 cents party
a group of Internet ghostwriters paid to post
online comments with particular content.
Online Chinese companies, the Chinese Gov. and the Communist
Party of China employ people to make postings on social media
in order to change public opinion.