17. Project Manager Guidance
• Empathy and listening is key to being a successful PM.
• Issue escalation is a powerful tool. Ensure your team’s issues are addressed in
a timely manner.
• Teams do not communicate well. It is our jobs as Project Managers to correct
mis-communications or delays in communication.
• Get your hands dirty – Step in and do work not assigned to any one group.
• Think strategically and think about the bigger picture.
• Keep a watchful eye on dependencies and their impacts on milestones.
• Stay focused on the Top 3-4 critical issues.
• Make sure your team prepares for key stakeholder meetings.
• Challenge your team. Teach your team not to run away from problems.
• Cut down meeting durations. Keep then focused and outcome based.
• Shield your team from as much administrative work as possible.
• Do not overlook cultural differences and customs when you have a multi-