1. What is hydrosphere?
The hydrosphere is the waterlayer covering the Earth.It
includesthe oceans,seas, lakes, ponds, rivers, streams….. It
includesgroundwater,surfacewater and water inthe air.
The hydrosphere covers about 70% of the surface of the
Earthand is the home formany plants andanimals.
2. Ground water
Groundwater is all the
water below the Earth
surface. This water comes
mostly from rain,
melted snow, and other
water that filters
through soil,sand, or the
cracks in the sidewalk.
3. Surface water
• Surface water is water on the surface of the
planet such as in a stream, river, lake, wetland,
4. Surface water
• Oceans are large masses of salty water, seas
are smaller than oceans.
• Rivers are continous currents of fresh water
that run into another river, a lake or into the
• Lakes are large masses of fresh water that
accumulate in a depression in the land.
• Marshes are lands lying below sea level
which are flooded by sea or river water
5. Oceanic Waters
• Oceans and seas contain about 97% of the
water on the Planet Earth.
• There are five oceans: Pacific Ocean, Atlantic
Ocean, Indian Ocean, Arctic Ocean and the
• They are big masses of salt water.