SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
Use a section header for each of the topics, so there is a clear transition to the audience.
This is another option for an overview slide.
PLN Presentation VAASL 13
PLN’S FOR SOLO SUCCESS
VAASL Independent Schools Committee Chair
Rules for Presenting
1 practical thing to take home
Prizes- 2 Sbux cards
Out early for bathroom line and to get
into popular sessions
How I Went Solo
• Education courses in undergrad
• 2 years at a Henrico Co. elem school as Instructional
• Grad school through Longwood (Go Audrey and
• 1 year as High School Library Assistant in Henrico
• Student teaching and job search…
– Private boarding school in rural Pittsylvania Co.
– 1st Year Librarian renovating a library
– Starting over after 30 years of problems
• No full time Librarian, no weeding, no YA, no fun, no
– I REALLY needed advice, help and to stay
connected to other librarians
– Creating a PLN through online tools, Face-to-Face
connecting, and pushing myself to take leadership
roles in VAASL
WHAT’S A PLN
• Stay up to date on library issues and trends
• Get recommendations- books/technology/programming
• Look like a superhero to your colleagues and kids
• Make friends who you can talk shop with/bounce ideas off
• Collaborate with other librarians- skype talks, interactive
• All these things keep you from burning out and help you to
become better at your job!
• Pajama professional development
• Connect to experts, colleagues from around
• Connect to your patrons- share news, share
• Twitter Chats- follow a certain topic #
• Twitter Chat Calendar
Too many emails?
Set up a Digest or
How Can Listservs Help?
• How to set up library on crutches
• Book/Tech Recs
• Challenge support
• Fun things like Recipe Day and
Similar to a blog, but with many authors- collaborative
Independent School Educators Ning
Top 100 Blogs for Librarians
Many options for subscribing
• Defunct Google Reader
• BazQux- what I use $9/year
• Follow by email
Point of need professional development
Library 2.013- Archive of 3 days worth of webinars
TL Virtual Caféhttp://tlvirtualcafe.wikispaces.com/TL+News+Night
• No matter where you are, you can find real life
• The best thing I’ve done for PD has been putting
myself out there
• Vacation library visits
• I’ve emailed librarians in my area at different
schools to get together for dinner, library visits, etc.
• Serving with VAASL- so many more contacts (and a
lot of fun!)
PLN Dos and Don’ts
1. Don’t get overwhelmed
2. Do focus on a few good things not 500 so-so things
3. Do make some changes- I was reading blogs for 2
years before starting Twitter
4. Do think about what amount of time you have to
5. Do make specific plans as to when you’ll work on your
PLN- Ex. I read blogs on my phone while walking my
6. Give back! Don’t be a lurker. You have something
interesting to say. Other librarians want to hear about
your experiences. Don’t just follow blogs- write one.
Don’t just join Twitter, participate in a Twitter chat.
Don’t wait for people to come to you, be proactive!
• Who’s in your PLN?
• What one thing can you do
when you get back to your
school to strengthen your
Attached is a Google Doc with all the
links from this presentation and many
others from my PLN
This Presentation can be found online at
Follow on Twitter @LibraryCH
Follow the Library Blog:
Dunn, Jeff. "100 Helpful Blogs For School Librarians (And
Teachers)." Edudemic, 10 July 2012. Web. 05 Nov.
Hargadon, Steve. "Session and Keynote Recordings." Library 2.013. N.p., n.d. Web. 05 Nov. 2013.
LaGarde, Jennifer. "Why Become A Connected Librarian?” The Adventures of Library Girl: N.p., 5 Oct. 2013. Web. 01 Nov.
LaGarde, Jennifer. "PLN Starter Kit – LiveBinder. N.p., 26 Aug. 2012. Web. 05 Nov. 2013.
Lewis, Courtney, and Laura Pearle. "We Are Not Alone.” Independent School Libraries: Perspectives on Excellence. Libraries
Unlimited, n.d. Web. 01 Nov. 2013.
Newman, Bobbi. "10 Ways Twitter Will Make You a Better Employee, Better at Your Job, and Benefit Your Library.”
Librarian by Day RSS. N.p., 15 Oct. 2010. Web. 02 Nov. 2013.
Orlando, Demetri. Independent School Educators Network. N.p., 2013. Web. 05 Nov. 2013.
Robertson, Nikki D. "GISL Developing Your PLN at an Exponential Rate with Twitter - Google Drive." GISL Developing Your
PLN at an Exponential Rate with Twitter - Google Drive. N.p., 26 Sept. 2013. Web. 01 Nov. 2013.
"TL Virtual Cafe - TL News Night October 21, 2013 Archive." TL Virtual Cafe. Tangient LLC, 21 Oct. 2013. Web. 05 Nov. 2013.