Virtual vs face to face communication workers perspective
1. VIRTUAL VS FACE TO
PhD. FLORIDA VELJANOSKA; PhD CANDIDATE MAJLINDA AXHIU;
PhD CANDIDATE EDI KELA
2. What is communication process?
“Transmission of a message from a sender to a receiver in
an understandable manner.”
•Normal worker spend usually about 70% of its’ working time, actively
•Modern world and especially the technology development have changed the
way in which people communicate with each other, privately and at work.
•Choosing the right communication channel determine the effectiveness of
3. Components of Communication
• The communication process is made up of four key components.
• Those components include encoding, medium of transmission,
decoding, and feedback. Sender and Receiver are also a part of it.
• Communication is only successful when both the sender and the
receiver understand the same information as a result of the
Importance of Communication in Business:
• Effective communication is vital to all businesses. The
communication process involves:
Sender Message Receiver
4. COMMUNICATION AND EFFECIVE MANAGEMENT
Importance of Communication in the Workplace
•Communication is important in a workplace setting because people must
interact with one another in ways that will get the job done quickly and
"Communication is really all anyone ever gets paid for ultimately...and if you cannot
effectively communicate...you will PAY...not get paid..." -- Doug Firebaugh
Importance of Communication in Leadership
•“It is simply impossible to become a great leader without being a great
• "The art of communication is the language of leadership." — James Humes
• “Good Leaders, Good Communicators”.
• Communication is what separates a poor manager, from an exceptional one”.
“An organization functions through its’ people, who in
turn function through communication” (Brennan, 1974).
5. FACE TO FACE VS VIRTUAL COMMUNICATION: LITERATURE
LOOKING IN SOMEONE’S EYES AND ASKING HIM TO DO
SOMETHING DIRECTLY, GIVES FAR MORE THAN JUST
DOING IT VIA E-MAIL.
THERE IS NO REPLACEMENT FOR FACE TO FACE
COMMUNICATION, REGARDLESS OF HOW FAR
TECHNOLOGY HAS EVOLVED. (DUKE, 2011)
CMCs HAVE SAVED MAJOR TNCS UP TO $50 MILLIONS,
PROVING IT TO BE A COSTEFFECTIVE WAY OF
CONDUCTING BUSINESS. (BERGIEL ET. AL., 2008)
62% OF MEN THINK THAT CMCs INCREASES THEIR
PRODUCTIVE, COMPARED WITH ONLY HALF OF WOMAN.
65% OF THE RESPONDENTS BETWEEN THE AGE OF 25
AND 34, SAID THAT CMCs INCREASE PRODUCTIVITY,
WHILE 52% OF THE RESPONDENTS BETWEEN THE AGES
OLDER THAN 35, THINK THAT CMCs INCREASE THEIR
PRODUCTIVITY.(DAVID MIELACH, 2013)
7. ADVANTAGES AND DISADVANTAGES
FEEDBACK CAN BE
LOW OR DELAYED
TECHNICAL PROBLEMS AND
NEED FOR COMPUTER AND
CMCs ARE OFTEN CONNECTED
WITH MANY INTERPERSONAL
8. RESEARCH RESULTS
THE QUESTIONARE WAS DISTRIBUTED
AMONG 30 COMPANIES WITH
DIFFERENT BUSINESSES ON THE
THERITORY OF 7 CITIES IN
THE REPUBLIC OF MACEDONIA.
- CMCs ARE MORE ACCEPTED BY YOUNGER GENERATIONS.
- THE SIZE OF THE COMPANY DETERMINE THE DOMINANT
* IN THE COMPANIES WITH LESS THAN 10 EMPLOYEES ALMOST
ALL COMMUNICATION IS DONE FACE TO FACE OR BY PHONE.
* IN THE COMPANIES WITH MORE THAN 50 EMPLOYEES
9. RESEARCH RESULTS
• WOMEN ACCEPT CMCs MORE THAN
MEN. MAJORITY OF MEN RESPONDED THAT
CMCs DISTURB THEM.
• 83% RESPONDED THAT CMCs
DISTURB THE NORMAL PROCESS OF
COMMUNICATION AND INTERFERE INTERPERSONAL RELATIONS.
• THE MAIN DISADVANTAGE OF FACE TO FACE COMMUNICATION
ARE HIGH EXPENSES.
• THE MAIN ADVANTAGE OF FACE TO FACE COMMUNICATION IS
THE PRESENCE OF NONVERBAL COMMUNICATION.
• THE GREATEST ADVANTAGE OF CMCs IS COMMUNICATION ON
10. RESEARCH RESULTS
• THE MAJOR DISADVANTAGE OF CMCs IS
THAT THEY ARE DISTURBING THE
NORMAL PROCESS OF COMMUNICATION
AND THEY ARE INTERFERING
• ALL RESPONDENTS ANSWER THAT THEY
HAD A SITUATION IN THE PAST, WHEN
THEY WERE WRONGLY INTERPRETED
76% OF THE WORKERS RESPONDED
THAT THEY PREFER FACE TO FACE
COMMUNICATION OVER THE CMCs.
• COMMUNICATIOION GAPS AND WRONG SELECTED
COMMUNICATION CHANNELS CAN CAUSE
MISUNDERSTANDINGS, TENSIONS, LOW MOTIVATION AND
OVERALL LAW ORGANIZATIONS’ PERFORMANCES.
• YOUNGER GENERATIONS ARE MORE FAMILIAR WITH THE
USAGE OF CMCs AT WORKPLACE.
• THE SIZE OF THE COMPANY DETERMINE THE COMMUNICATION
• THE MAJORIY OF THE RESPONDENTS IN THE SURVEY
ANSWERED THAT THEY PREFER FACE TO FACE
COMMUNICATION, OVER THE CMCs.
• EFFECTIVE WORK NOWADAYS IS IMPOSSIBLE WITHOUT CMCs.
• THE EFFECIVE MANAGEMENT MUST HAVE THE ABILITY TO USE
THE MOST APPROPRIATE COMMUNICATION CHANNEL,
DEPENDING OF THE TYPE OF INFORMATION HE INTENTS TO
SEND AND DEPENDING OF THE FEEDBACK HE EXPECTS.