SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
How not to be a shit as a leader- 10 things to avoid
How not to be a shit as a leader:
10 things to avoid
Dr A. Barai
MBBS, MRCS Ed, MSc (Critical Care)
Registrar in Emergency Medicine
• Everyone is a leader at certain times or the other. Be
it in a family gathering, work place, queue in the
train station or even in a football match on the alley
• A leader can make a huge difference in the team
• Wrong strategy can be a disaster
• Leadership skills are mostly acquired
Who is a leader?
• Someone who is a team member at first
• Someone who can motivate others
• Someone who knows how to appreciate others
• Someone who can take responsibilities
• Someone whom others can trust
• Someone who does not run away
Pitfalls of being a leader
• Can be stressful
• Can be challenging
• Can be less rewarding if you fail
• May have to face criticism
• May be premature if not fully prepared
• The reality is that the subordinates don’t like the
• In fact, they hate the Boss.
• A Boss is like a monkey at the top of a tree. When he
looks down he can see smiley faces of monkeys
below. But those monkeys below when look up can
only see the bare bottom of the Boss at the top of
• However, if the boss becomes a team member, they
become co-operative and helpful.
• Nobody likes to be ordered.
• Instead, a gentle request can do the magic.
• Authority can still be maintained even after being
Things to avoid: 3
Never insult or humiliate others.
• You don’t like to be insulted or humiliated.
• Same is true for the juniors or subordinates.
• Insult reduces motivation and concentration.
• Only a stupid ‘Leader’ will insult juniors.
• If you want the team to succeed, encourage them.
• Be very diplomatic when you give feedback.
• Respect is an inherent capability of a human being.
• Everyone will use it if you deserve it.
• Your work and attitude will get you the respect from
• You don’t have to ask for it.
Things to avoid: 6
Don’t be isolated from the team
• Ask for suggestions and ideas from everyone in the
• Do it with honesty and sincerity.
• 10 brains can do a better job than 1 brain.
• To listen to others is an art. Master the art. You will
see the difference.
• As a leader, the team wants you to lead from the
• Show them your own examples.
• Create ideal situation and scenarios.
Things to avoid: 8
Don’t dump responsibility to others
• It will be counter-productive to blame others for the
• The wise thing to do is to give credit to the team for
any success and take the blame for failures.
• That will motivate the team.
• Success will be the end result.
• If you are generous to the team, success will follow.
• Give them rewards for their achievements.
• Appreciate generously for every little achievement.
• Never bag the credits to your own pocket, share it
among the whole team.
Things to avoid: 10
Never show your frustrations
• There will be ups and downs in professional or
• The whole team will look at you and follow you.
• If you show your frustrations, their moral power will
• End result a complete mess and failure.
• It’s very easy to be a complete disaster as a
• By avoiding a few simple things, one can
become a successful leader who can be an
asset to the company, the team and the