• First biggest selling film magazine in Britain
• Organises the annual Empire Awards
• usually rank films at the end of the year
• wants to be entertaining with competitions and games
• interviews with celebrities with funny and unusual questions and then presents the answer
• each issue covers a old classic film
• makes it entertaining by including loads of pictures, film games, quizzes, red carpet images and
‘the movie poster mash-up’ thats playground with current issues and puts them in the magazine
cover with a famous celebrity.
I feel that they aim for an audience that are interested in gossip as well and the blockbuster films.
Celeb news, latest films and people that want to read something entertaining. I believe that their
readers probably read the ‘Daily Mail” due to the similarities. The magazine cost £3.99 so their
audience may have a low demographic life and maybe working
or middle class.
This page is included because they want to add something
funny that will appeal to their audience.
Writing and Reporting Style
• the writing used is clear but approachable and includes funny and quirky quotes and sub
• empire likes to report by using pictures to show the subject. by this they will be attracting their
audience who are more interested with pictures and writing.
• under the frequently asked questions to empire magazine, one question asks ‘do you have any
general tips for budding magazine writers?’ under their response were… ‘never use dear
sir/madam. all those letters go straight in the bin.’ this tells me that they don’t take writing to
seriously and don't focus on formal writing and want people to be realistic.
• they come across very supportive and will take anyone and you don't need to study journalism
or media to understand what is going on in the film industry.
The fact that empire magazine have said they do not want formal writing and giving advice on
starting off on other things shows that they do the same. This also tells me that their reporting and
writing style are quite similar to the way teenagers communicate; suggesting to me that are
empires main target audience.
2. Review Page
• the review page on empire are decorated and designed well, by using pictures stylising writing
and in general juts a colourful page. i feel they want to use this as they target mining teenagers
who read things especially if they look go with less reading material. they also like to use
interesting, fun writing styles
with adjectives and
• As the review age is popular to read amongst the readers, magazines need something
entertaining to grab their readers. Empire gives informations on games, TV, DVD, future films
and ratings on them. I believe these are included because their audience are interested in new
films and news going around about them. As Empire aims for teenagers and young adults by
including things such as ratings on games and films will help them choose what to pay for and
encourage them to keep buying Empire.