Full Name: The Kingdom of Morocco
Largest city: Casablanca
Major language: Arabic and French
Major religion: Muslim
Life expectancy: Male: 73 , Female:
Monetary unit: Moroccan Dirham
GPD per capita: 28,282 MAD
(Adapted from CIA World Factbook)
Significant Historic Events
• 7th and 8th centuries: Arab invasions lead to the creation of
the first Muslim Empire.
• 1860s-80s: Disputes arise over Spain’s claims on the northern
tip of Morocco. Spain establishes a protectorate along the
• 1904: France also lays claim to regions of Morocco.
• 1912: France establishes an inland protectorate.
• 1921-26: French and Spanish troops suppress tribal
• 1956: French protectorate ends.
• 1975: Spain leaves what will become Western Sahara.
• 1976: Moroccan and Algerian troops clash over claims in
• 1988: Morocco and Algeria resume diplomatic relations.
Current Issues and Events
• Disputes over Western Sahara
• Environment Issues (Erosion, desertification, water
• Militant Groups
(Adapted from africaw. com and BBC News 2014)
• Clothing and textiles
• Transistors and Electric components
• Crude minerals and Inorganic
• Petroleum products and Fertilizers
• Citrus fruits, Vegetables, Fish
(Adapted from economywatch.com)
National Festivals and
• Eid El-Mawlid: Celebration of the prophet
• Eid ul-Fitr: A feast celebrating the end of
Ramadan, a holy month of fasting.
• Eid Al Milad: The King’s Birthday
• Eid Al Massira Al Khadra: Anniversary
celebration of the Green March of November
6, 1975 when unarmed Moroccan troops
marched to Western Sahara to call for its
return to Moroccan control.
• Fatih Muharram: Islamic New Year
• Bisteeya (savory layered pastry)
• Tagine (meat or poultry cooked in special
pottery ware with vegetables)
• Harira (a tomato and lentil stew)
• Kafta (grilled ground beef)