INTERNATIONAL SPEAKER PROFILE
Tam Hoang Minh Ngo ( May )
– Studying in Akron university
– My major is Nursing
– I was born in Ho Chi Minh city
– I want to be a nurse to help kids in the future
VIETNAM QUICK FACTS
• Full name: Socialist Republic of Vietnam
• Population: 99,292,436 (2022)
• Capital: Hanoi
• Largest city: Ho Chi Minh city
• Area: 329,247 sq km (127,123 sq miles)
• Major language: Vietnamese
• Major religion: Buddhism
• Life expectancy: 73 years (men), 77 years (women) (UN)
• Monetary unit: 1 dong = 100 xu
• Main exports: Petroleum, rice, coffee, clothing, fish
• GNI per capita: US $1,270 (World Bank, 2011)
⦿Known for: Rice, coffee, seafood, coal
⦿Imports: machinery and equipment, petroleum
products, steel products, electronics, plastics, auto
⦿Exports: clothes, shoes, marine products, crude
oil, electronics, wooden products, rice
⦿Economy status: the economic growth
accelerated in the second quarter after the central
bank cut interest rates to revive lending to
businesses and rising foreign investment boosted
the nation’s exports.
• Currency: Vietnam dong (VND) - 1.00 USD =
23752.97 VND (2022)
• Jobs : People start to work most at the age 18, but
it depends on family and resume to be chosen.
There is some cases that children or teenagers go
to work because of their poor family.
• Students and money: Student in elementary or
high school can usually have allowance. About the
amount, it’s based on each family’s economy.
GENDER- ROLE OF GIRLS / BOYS –
• Roles in society: Most emphasize on men’s role in
family and outside the society. Also, people obtain
with education and age.
• Dress : Uniform in school, casual clothes to go
• Work: Men’s responsibilities are to work
• Home: Women were responsible for domestic
duties such as homemaking and raising children
• Typical Day- schedule:
+Breakfast (7am-8am); Lunch (12pm-1pm); Dinner (7am-8am)
+Go to work at 7am
+Vietnamese have a short nap after having lunch (about 30-
+Going back home from work at 4pm-5pm
• A School Day/Week of 11-12yrs old kids: Go to school at
6:30am, have a small break at 9:00am(for 20mins),go home at
11:45am, have lunch and take a nap for 45mins.
Go to school again for extra school class in the afternoon(3-4
• Study-Homework: Focus most on Science course
(Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics) and Literature
-Study with a tutor in the evening.
• Extracurriculars: Have many soccer/basketball
competitions in the break times between classes.
• Family Life: we live as a collectivism, help each
others to do the household chores, eat together for
the main meals, watch TV or discuss something
• Pets: cats, dogs, fish, turtles/tortoises, etc.
• Wildlife: It may be hard to see wildlife animals
here. There are not many “real” parks in the
urban areas of Vietnam because of deforestation
and population growth. Parks in Vietnam are like
the playground for kids or the big garden with
flowers and some trees. Therefore, most wild
animals can be seen the zoo only.