2. HUMAN RIGHTS DAY 2013
Human Rights Day is held on 10 December every year, the date
the United Nations General Assembly adopted the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights, proclaiming its principles as the
“common standard of achievement for all peoples and all
Human Rights Day is celebrated globally, at the headquarters of
the High Commissioner’s office in Geneva, in New York and in
more than 50 other countries.
14. A protester carries an injured boy away from clashes with Egyptian riot police in Cairo on Jan. 26, 2013.
15. THE WORLD'S 40 MOST FRAGILE STATES
(The ninth annual collaboration between Foreign Policy and
the Fund For Peace)
A wide range of issues -- wars, hunger, brutal dictatorships,
child mortality, economic failure, mass epidemics, political
infighting, and the devastating aftermath of natural disasters -pushes countries to the brink of failure, or right over the edge.
The following photos capture slices of daily life in the world's
40 most fragile countries -- snapshots that not only reveal
strife and hardship, but also triumph and perseverance.
16. SOMALIA. A Somali boy plays soccer with Ugandan soldiers from the African Union Mission in Somalia in February 2013.
17. DEMOCRATIC REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO Miners near the city of Goma, in eastern DRC, dig for minerals -- such as coltan, tin
ore, and manganese -- to be used in consumer electronics.
18. SUDAN A woman stands with a wheelbarrow close to el-Fasher, the capital of North Darfur state, on June 17, 2013.
19. SOUTH SUDAN Refugees from the violence-plagued province of South Kordofan play on the wreckage of a crashed aircraft near
the Yida refugee camp in South Sudan in February 2013.
20. CHAD Guards exercise during a parade on April 5, 2013, in Zakouma National Park, east of N'Djamena, in Chad.
21. YEMEN A Yemeni man rides a motorcycle past a damaged house in the historical quarter of the yemeni capital, sanaa, on
june 3, 2013.
22. AFGHANISTAN During a "Taliban capture" military exercise run by French and Canadian soldiers, Afghan National Army cadets
secure the perimeter as smoke bombs, simulating detonated IEDs, cover the area at the Kabul Military Training Center on Nov. 13,
2012, in Kabul, Afghanistan.
23. HAITI Children and adults scavenge for recyclables and other usable items around a garbage truck at the Trutier dump on the
outskirts of Port-au-Prince, Haiti, on March 7, 2012.
24. CENTRAL AFRICAN REPUBLIC Supporters of Bozizé cheer for soldiers as they follow the presidential convoy heading for
the airport in Bangui on Jan. 10, 2013.
25. ZIMBABWE A woman walks past an election billboard urging people to register to vote in Harare's Mbare township on June 11,
2013. The country is expected to hold presidential and parliamentary elections later this year.
26. IRAQ Iraqi Shiite pilgrims look at a mock grave where people donate money along the road leading to Imam Musa al-Kadhim shrine
in the capital, Baghdad, on June 2, ahead of the anniversary of the death of the Seventh Imam.
27. IVORY COAST Soldiers of the Ivory Coast Republican Force patrol the streets of Dabou on Aug. 16, 2012, after a series of
28. PAKISTAN Supporters of Pakistan Muslim League-N celebrate election results in front of a party office on May 11, 2013, in
30. GUINEA-BISSAU Student Rachid Malam peers off the edge of a colonial-era dock on the island of Bolama in Guinea-Bissau on
Nov. 5, 2012. Established in 1890, Bolama was the first Portuguese colonial capital of Guinea-Bissau. In 1941, the Portuguese
moved to the present capital, Bissau.
32. KENYA Protesters hold fake Kenyan currency bills with the image of a pig during a demonstration outside Parliament after
lawmakers voted to give themselves hefty salary increases on June 11, 2013, in Nairobi.
33. NIGER People ride by the entrance of Niger's gendarmerie national barracks on June 12, 2013, in Niamey.
34. BURUNDI A bus full of Burundian refugees returning from Tanzania and arriving at a transit camp in southern
Burundi, in the hopes of being resettled.
35. ETHIOPIA Ethiopian Orthodox clergy members stand outside Bete Giyorgis, also called St. George's Church, at the Lalibela holy
sites on March 19, 2013, in Lalibela, Ethiopia. Lalibela is among Ethiopia's holiest of cities and is distinguished by its 11 churches
hewn into solid rock that date back to the 12th century.
36. SYRIA A Syrian man stands on the rubble of his house while others look for survivors and bodies in the Tariq al-Bab district of
the northern city of Aleppo on Feb. 23, 2013.
37. UGANDA A Ugandan policeman beats up a journalist in Kampala on May 28, 2013, outside the Daily Monitor and Red
Pepper newspapers, which were closed on May 20 by armed police.
41. MYANMAR A Rohingya woman sits by a fire at a crowded internally displaced persons camp on Nov. 23, 2012, on the
outskirts of Sittwe, Myanmar.
42. CAMEROON A group of men gather to read headlines about Cameroon's president at a newsstand in Yaounde on Nov. 6, 2012.
43. SRI LANKA Sri Lankan Muslim schoolgirls stand on the edge of a seaport in Colombo on May 20 after traveling from their town
of Kalmunai, over 231 miles east of the capital.
44. BANGLADESH Bangladeshi Rescuers carry a worker out of the wreckage of a garment factory that collapsed on April 24, 2013.
The disaster left more than 1,000 dead and sparked international outrage over working conditions in Bangladesh.
45. NEPAL A Nepalese woman is pictured in the streets of Khokana, near Kathmandu, on June 11, 2013.
46. MAURITANIA Men run from tear gas during clashes with police at an anti-slavery demonstration in Nouakchott on May 26, 2012.
47. EAST TIMOR An East Timorese man carries bananas at a market in Dili on June 5, 2013.
48. SIERRA LEONE A man sits in front of a painted mural in Freetown on Nov. 19, 2012.
49. EGYPT An Egyptian woman sits with her laptop near the Presidential Palace prior to a protest against the government of
Mohamed Morsy in December 2012.
50. BURKINA FASO Women attend a talk on HIV prevention at a clinic in Ouagadougou on April 13, 2013. In 2009, there were
110,000 people living with HIV in Burkina Faso, though the rate of infection is believed to be falling.
51. REPUBLIC OF THE CONGO A Congolese woman and her children sit outside the Potopoto mosque in Brazzaville on March 30,
52. MALI Malian soldiers patrol the streets of Timbuktu on Feb. 1, 2013, as French-led troops fight to expel
Islamist troops from the northern city.
54. RWANDA Rwandans gather to watch television in the town of Rutare, 28 miles north of the capital, Kigali, on May 15, 2013. In 2012,
however, the United Nations accused Rwanda of supporting the M23 rebel group in the neighboring Democratic Republic of the
55. MALAWI Children gather to receive a meal at the Mphandula Childcare Center in Namitete prior to a visit from Madonna on April 5,
Human Rights Day Postcards from Hell, 2013
John Lennon Imagine
thanks for watching