Child welfare committee and juvenile justice board in India _An overview
Overview on Child Welfare Committee and
Juvenile Justice Board
This presentation brings details of the
● Overview of Child Welfare Committe
● Overview of Juvenile Justice Board
● Basic Standard Operating Procedures for CWC
CWC and the● 12 basic category of children under
produces related to its functioning
Overview of Child Welfare Committee
CWC is a statutory body appointed as a competent authority for all
children in need of care and protection by the JJ Act.
● A Child can be brought before the committee (or a member of the
committee) by a police officer, any public servant, CHILDLINE
personnel, any social worker or public spirited citizen, or by the child
● The CWC usually sends the child to a children's home while the
inquiry into the case is conducted for the protection of the child.
● The CWC meets and interviews the child to learn his/her background
information and also understand the problem the child is facing.
● The probation officer (P.O) in charge of the case must also submit
regular reports of the child.
● The purpose of the CWC is to determine the best interest of the child
and find the child a safe home and environment either with his/her
original parents or adoptive parents, foster care or in an institution.
● A final order must be given within four months of the admission of
the child before the CWC.
● The CWC also has powers to hold people accountable for the child
such as in the case of child labour, the employers are fined or made
to give bonds to the children.
Specific Categories of Children
CWC members should understand the following categories
while making a decision in relation to the children.
1: Surrendered child
2: Abandoned child and missing child
3: Procedure to be followed for declaring a child free
4: Child of parents considered unfit for their care
5: Child marriage
6: Working child
7: Child beggar
8: Street child
9: Child trafficked for sexual exploitation
10: Child who is victim of abuse
11: Child who is mentally or physically challenged
12: Child affected by HIV/AIDS.
Functions of CWC
● Take cognizance of and receive children produced before the
● Decide on the matters brought before the Committee
● Reach out to such children in need of care and protection who
are not in a position to be produced before the Committee
● Conduct necessary inquiry on all issues relating to and affecting
the safety and well being of the child
Functions of CWC Contd..
● Declare a child legally free for adoption.
● Maintain liaison with the JJ Board in respect of cases needing care
● Direct the Child Welfare Officers or Probation Officers or non-
governmental organisations to conduct social inquiry
● Ensure necessary care and protection, including immediate
● Ensure appropriate rehabilitation and restoration, including
passing necessary directions to parents or guardians or fit
persons or fit institutions
Juvenile Justice Board and its Function
● The purpose of a separate court is that its purpose is socio-legal
rehabilitation and reformation not punishment.
● The JJB consists of a metropolitan magistrate or a judicial
magistrate of the first class and two social workers, at least one
of whom should be a woman.
● The police have 24 hours to produce a child before the court
once he is arrested.
● JJB are meant to resolve cases within a four month period.
Juvenile Justice Board and its Function
●Once the child has been brought before the JJB he/she is registered
into the closest Observation Home. Most circumstances the juvenile
can be released on bail by the JJB.
●The home probation officer (P.O.) in charge will also submit a report
●Based on the Police and P.O. report the JJB calls for the child's plea.
●If the child pleads guilty the JJB will pass appropriate orders for the
●If the juvenile pleads not guilty the JJB must further investigate by
calling witnessing and accusers to testify before the court.
Apparemment, vous utilisez un bloqueur de publicités qui est en cours d'exécution. En ajoutant SlideShare à la liste blanche de votre bloqueur de publicités, vous soutenez notre communauté de créateurs de contenu.
Vous détestez les publicités?
Nous avons mis à jour notre politique de confidentialité.
Nous avons mis à jour notre politique de confidentialité pour nous conformer à l'évolution des réglementations mondiales en matière de confidentialité et pour vous informer de la manière dont nous utilisons vos données de façon limitée.
Vous pouvez consulter les détails ci-dessous. En cliquant sur Accepter, vous acceptez la politique de confidentialité mise à jour.