SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
11 PREDICTIONS FOR 2014
A Havas Media Review – February 2014
• A digest of 2014 predictions in terms of:
On & Off media consumption
• This document is based on various sources as:
• Social media has been identified as a core channel of online marketing.
• People are also moving to smaller networks to design more intimate
social experiences or to share their interests with a like-minded
community. Indeed, more photos are shared on Snapchat (400 million
per day) than uploaded on Facebook.
• Improvements have also been made in the field of high technology
devices and software, as the arrival of XL smartphone screens
(phablets) and flexible ones.
1. The rise of Big Data ?
• People continue to leave a high volume of data which should
allow smarter targeting and create opportunities.
• Data gathering could be more transparent and traded in exchange
for specific products or services.
• Creation of “digital bodyguard”, security software aimed to
protect increasing personal clouds.
• Rise of Smart Cities that interact a
connected billboards and even
connected window displays to
communicate about transportation,
health care, lighting etc.
Source: Microsoft.com, Levif.be, Venturebeat.com
2. Social Media will evolve
Social Media …
(Instagram, Vine and Snapchat).
• is not just for kids and teenagers.
unpredictable for businesses and
leading figures: most politicians
have a Twitter account.
• could be TV’s best ally with social
• Social media can strongly impact capital markets as Obama
fake tweet did (Dow Jones dropped of 150 points).
• Advertising through social media is growing and evolving,
as Oreo created a buzz in 2013 with tweet during the Super
Bowl 34 minute power cut.
Source: Havas Sports & Entertainement, Bloomberg.com
3. Social Sharing and Content Engagement
Global social sharing
• 70% occurs from a Windows desktop.
• 57% occurs from an Android device.
• 48% occurs
• Facebook is still the leader in the most popular sharing
method ranking with 26% of global sharing. Twitter is the 4th
of the same ranking with 13%of global sharing after Adress
Bar (19%) and Facebook “Like” (16%).
• However, Facebook may not dominate the ranking for a long
time, as its amount of content shared has dropped by 11%
over the year, whereas Twitter one’s has increased of 3%.
4. Consumer Engagement increasingly stimulated
• Rise of advertising interactions: with the Smart TV it will be possible to
receive customized information in real time while a TV ad spot runs.
• Gamification: use of game thinking and mechanisms in non-game
contexts to engage users in Apps.
• Barter marketing: development of the consumers’ social currency by
implementing discounts and fringe benefits in exchange for tweets,
likes and social mentions.
• Social Media activities and advertising will be more linked to be closer
to consumers. For example, Dunkin Donuts’ first-ever TV-ad was
entirely made of Vine videos.
• Lifestyle brands targeting younger demographics will try to implement
new acts through the run of their marketing campaign as associating
their image with rising singer stars.
Source: Havas Sports & Entertainment, Meta-media.fr
5. TV : more and more social, hardware quality will rise
• Growth of subscription TV slowed.
• Connected TV is skyrocketing.
TV could benefit from an alliance with
• Ultra High Definition will appear on TV
via the internet and using Peer to
• New screens quality four times higher
than Full HD.
Source: Meta-media.fr, Lesoir.be
6. Social TV / Smart TV : Happy union?
• On-demand internet streaming media providers as Netflix will
rise as Smart TV will become the new standard.
• Apple recently bought
Topsy, a leader in Twitter
analytics, in order to
release something huge
which will affect Social TV.
• Facebook and Twitter will
compete with each other
in this industry.
Source: Lostremote.com, Adweek.com
7. Social TV will affect watching behavior
• Binge-watching, also called binge-viewing, will spread as Netflix
proved that broadcasting entire seasons online works. It consists in
watching television for longer time than average.
• Spins-of and series sequels will grow thanks to social TV.
• Fans will be able to finance more and more (social) TV shows on
platforms like Mobcaster and Kickstarter which raised funds to
finance Veronica Mars released.
• TV will bring producers closer to consumers through engagement.
• TV will be about complementary screens and social interaction.
Source: Lostremote.com, Meta-media.fr
8. Online Marketing
• Online Marketing still needs to improve to
strengthen its place in the buying funnel. It is
still far from the store buying experience.
• Hyper-connexion has to be controlled in order
to maximize profits thanks to Big Data: set the
right promotion at the right place and the right
• Amateurs turn pro (as the creative toolset becomes more
sophisticated, the creators’ talent grows). Brands are rightly
jumping on the trend to benefit from a customer’s creation (ex:
Lego developed their Movie Maker app for stop motions).
Source: Havas Sports and Entertainment, Microsoft.com
9. Mobile Marketing: it’s now ! (1/2)
of websites are globally not
optimized for mobile platforms.
• 45% of users declare they would not
return to a site on their mobile phone if
it is not optimized.
• 45% of businesses still don’t have a
mobile optimized site or App.
of searches are now taking
place on a mobile device.
Source: Havas Sports and Entertainment
9. Mobile Marketing: it is now ! (2/2)
• Mobile advertising will drive the most viral and shared
• Mobile devices will become the remote control of our life via
electronic devices and will be extremely linked to social media.
• Advertising income through mobile
devices should double between 2014 and
• By 2017, 66% of the world mobile data
traffic will be video and online video
production will account more than 33% of
all online advertising spend.
Source: Havas Sports and Entertainment, Pub.be
10. Wearable Technology
• Smart-watches are already available
on the market and the smart-glasses
are coming soon.
• Every simple life product might potentially become smart as
soon as the product is able to enhance human capabilities
and/or to improve what is loved while automating what is
• New wearable technology is relevant as soon as it can solve
a human “problem”. Those devices should become “a
natural extension of the person”. It should not require new
behaviour or huge personal adaptation.
Source: Microsoft.com, Venturebeat.com
11. 3D Printers
• 3D printing is now more accessible
and more cost-effective. It will also
respond to the customer’s need of
• 3D Printer market is about to
skyrocket. A growth of 75% in 2014
and 200% by the end of 2015 has
• Brands are starting to incorporate
3D printers into their campaigns in
order to attract customers with the
incentive of exclusivity.
Source: Havas Sports and Entertainment, Venturebeat.com
By 2020, there will be 75 billion of connected devices. Personal
objects, home and everyday items will be smart to manage and optimize
performance of health, finances, education, work and family.
Google has bought 8 companies specialized in robotic and has
invested hundreds of million dollars in research and development in this
field. The company’s worldwide influence is getting stronger.
Soon after the beginning of the 4G, improvements are already planned
with the 5G. Regarding fast connexion, Li-Fi (connexion via light) will also
be an interesting tool.
To finish, one of the key to succeed in the coming years in most of the
fields will be the Design because that’s what will make the difference in
the customers mind.