2. HISTORY OF QUEENSTOWN... Queenstown is very well known for green stone and its gold, first found in the Arrow River in 1862. The Arrow River became famed as one of the world's richest sources of alluvial gold, and many miners made their fortunes in the diggings. This led miners by their thousand into Queenstown's district, resulting in the formation of settlements around the area. Green stone has huge cultural importance to the Maori people. They once used it for adzes, chisels and weaponry. Today it is mostly carved into jewellery.
3. William Gilbert Rees was the first European settler in Queenstown and was very famous for his dominant personality at the time of the gold rushes. FAMOUS SETTLER...
4. ACCOMMODATION... LODGES Lodges are a very good idea for families traveling to Queenstown. Families will have all facilities needed like toilets, showers, a bed and a kitchen that has cooking utensils. Also lodges are a very affordable type of accommodation for families wanting a holiday. CARAVAN PARK This is also a good idea because Queenstown has many caravan parks. This is a cheep option and can also be your transport.
6. ACTIVITIES... Adventure Queenstown has so many activities for all types of people. Queenstown also has a lot of activities that families can enjoy. We also have a lot of activities for the not so adventurous. Many of our facilities have a café or restaurant where mum and dad can relax while the children can be adventurous.
7. SHOTOVER JET... The Shotover Jet operates 365 days of the year, depending on the weather and river conditions. The jet boat ride is about 30 minutes. 360 ° SPINS! Travel through the Shotover River Canyons at speeds of 85kmph. Carries up to 15 passengers including the driver
8. LUGE!... GONDOLA... Since the cableway began in 1967 we have carried over 5 million passengers. The gondola base station is located 5 minutes walk from central Queenstown. Running 365 days a year. While parents enjoy a snack at the restaurant the children can experience the thrill of the… The Luge tracks are 800 meters long. you can either take the scenic route or have the full on thrill of the advanced track. The Luge is fun for all ages and you can decide how fast you want to go. You are in control…
10. THE EARNSLAW... Even though there is so much action going on in Queenstown, it is always nice to view Queenstowns magnificent scenery while enjoying a trip around the lake on the Earnslaw. This coal burning steamer has been working on Lake Wakatipu from as early as 1863. The Earnslaw is Also Known as the ‘Lady of the Lake’.
11. Queenstown is an all year round tourist destination with many great opportunities you can seek. Whether it is an action packed holiday or more on the relaxing side, you and your family will find many interests in things in and around Queenstown. Come to Queenstown for a great holiday and enjoy