11. What is Visual Merchandising?
Most important component:
• Attract attention, connect, engage,
• Create customer comfort or give them a new
• Change a passive looker
• into an active buyer
Where to add décor?
• On top of salad bars
• On walls and decorative shelves
• Hanging from ceiling
• Accenting serving lines
• Brightening soffits and overhangs
• Enhancing cooler and freezer tops
• Decorating case and countertops
• Anywhere you want to add ambiance or focus attention
Create focal points
• Gather décor together to make a statement;
don’t scatter haphazardly about
• Easier to set and maintain
• Does not impede service
• Form a first impression
• Can be changed daily, weekly,
• Highlight & announce new items
• This would be a great spot to provide
information on nutritional programs.
• Prepare the customer.
• Display specials, new offerings, programs and
• Available in many different styles from metal to
plastic, from insert to write-on
• As with any write-on signs, put the marker in the
hands of someone with a creative flair and good
penmanship. These signs are great but mean little to
the customer if they are illegible.