• SEO is a technique used to optimize a web site for search engines
like Google, Bing, etc.
• It improves the volume and quality of traffic to a web site from
• SEO is the sub-category of SEM (Search Engine Marketing).
• It is done by understanding the working of search algorithms and
human visitors searching views.
• Overall, SEO is the process of designing and developing a web site
to rank well in search engine results.
3. How Search EnginesWork
• Calculating Relevancy
• Retrieving Results
Search engines like Google & Bing
often update their algorithms several
times per month.This is why you see changes in the rankings.
7. Websites vs.Webpages
• A website is a series of one, two or many individual webpages
• There is a huge difference for SEO between websites and
• Search engines show results based on webpages not websites
• Relevancy is calculated based on webpages contents
9. Two Words to Understand SEO
SEO is not that complicated!
• Optimization: Making sure Google understands what keywords
you're targeting, what products and services you selling and where
you sell them.
• Authority: Making sure that Google knows you have the best
content for their users.
• Total Internet Websites: 940,000,000 (940 Million)
• Total Individual Webpages: 30,000,000,000,000 (30Trillion)
10. A few words about Keywords
• Keywords are the foundation of SEO
• Choosing proper keywords is a hard part of SEO
• Picking a keyword is like starting a fight on the Internet
• Proper places to put keywords are important
• Choosing a proper strategy to achieve higher Google ranks
• Choosing keywords with commercial intent not just for visitors
11. Key Phrase / Keyword Curve
13. Keyword Intent Samples
Awareness & Informational Interest & Desire & Compare Action & Buy
How to Review Buy
Best way Best Deal
Ways to Top 10 Coupon
What is Cheap Deal
Where Brand (Sony) Discount
Why Product (iPhone) Shipping
Category (Tennis Shoes)
15. Omid Kordestani
• Omid R. Kordestani (born 1963) is an Iranian-American
businessman who works as Chief Business Officer at Google.
• He was born inTehran, Iran and grew up there attending Andisheh
Don Bosco School, an Italian Catholic school inTehran that
emphasized education and language skills. He moved to San Jose,
California at the age of 14 after the death of his father.
• He graduated with an electrical engineering degree from San Jose
State University and went to work for Hewlett Packard as an
engineer. Several years later in order to pursue a business degree,
he entered Stanford Business School and earned his MBA in 1991.
• Net worth: 1.9 billion USD (2013)(Increasing)
29. FinalizeYour Keywords
• Finalize proper keywords and assess the competition!
• Start searching some of your keywords by Google
• Sign out of any google account
• Navigate to www.google.com
• Clear browsers cache
• Use MozBar (https://moz.com/tools/seo-toolbar) to assess
• Comparing PA (Page Authority) & DA (DomainAuthority)
30. On Page Optimization
• Optimization is done on the page level not for the domain!
• Optimization should be done for each single page!
• Search engines index every optimized single page
• Optimization is not just about using keywords
• URL Optimization
• TitleTag & Meta Description
31. URL Optimization
• Use READABLE URL’s only
• Bad: http://mydomain.com/p=100
• Good: http://mydomain.com/page/100
• Have Keyword Reach URL’s (Example: http://mydomain.com/articles)
• Keep URL’s Short (Avoid: http://mydomain.com/science-related-articles-of-the-year-2015)
• Always Use DASH ( - ) instead of Underline ( _ ) in URL’s
• URLs that are hackable to allow users to move to higher levels of
the information architecture by hacking off the end of the URL
• Persistent URLs, which don't change
33. TitleTag & Meta Description Optimization
• <title>PageTitle Goes Here</title>
• <meta name=“description” content=“meta description content”/>
• Use keywords inTitleTag & Meta Description
• 55 Characters or less for TitleTag
• Use differentTitleTag for every page not duplicated ones
• 156 Characters or less for Meta Description
• Use Call to action words in Meta Description (Use verbs, actions,…)
• Offer a solution or promotion in Meta Description
• People REALY review Meta Descriptions before clicking the results
34. HeadingTag & Copy Optimization
• Place keywords in the H1, H2, H3Tags
• You should have 2000+ words on the page
• Use exact words in the copy 2-3 times
• Put the keyword in the first 100 words
• Bold, Italicize, Underline the exact keyword
35. Image Optimization
• To appear in the Google Search Result
• Your products, services & solutions should be searchable
• Always set images alternative text alt & title attributes
• Put keywords in the image name with hyphens (-)
• Optimize image size Format: jpg , Quality: 75-85%
36. Interlinking BetweenYour Pages
• Best example of how to internal link on your site is Wikipedia
• If you link between your pages it will help you with your search engine
• Authority for one page will be past on to the pages that they link to
• Add 2-5 keyword rich links to your older posts whenever you publish
a new one
37. Add Outgoing Links toYour Pages
• In your content, link to authority sites within your niche
• It shows Google that your are in a good company & a hub for quality
• Don’t link to competitors sites that are trying to rank for the same
keywords (otherwise your giving a free backlink)
• Add 2-4 outgoing links per 1000 words rich links to your older posts
whenever you publish a new one
39. Powerful Backlinks toYour Site
• Link form webpages relevant to your niche.
• Link from a ranking webpage.
• Links with effective anchor text
Bad: <a href=“http://www.yourwebsite.com”> Click here </a>
Good: <a href=“http://www.yourwebsite.com”> Your website keywords </a>
• Consistent backlinks (Add some every months not just once)
• Focus on Quality not Quantity
40. Natural Backlinks
• Link building is a by product of building something genuinely
worth linking to, whether it’s your product, service, the content your
purchase or the opinions you share with your industry and people.
• Editorial Link is one-way link placed within the body of a content that
is given naturally by other websites to specify a resource.
• Citation Link which generally indicates that the destination of the link
is the original source of the data, idea, concept of statement.
• These are the best ways of getting backlinks.
41. Manual Outreach Backlinks
• Manual outreach link building: create these links by emailing
bloggers, webmasters for links.
• Great way to develop link opportunities, draw attention to new
content and maximize links for content campaigns.
• Creates a link value proposition by explaining to the link target why
creating the link is in their best interest.
42. Are Paid Links Worth the Risk?
• Create links through blog comments, forum signatures, PR directories
or user profiles, directories etc.
• These links offer the lowest value. Unlikely to be from authority sites
in your niche.
• Recent updates to Google's algorithm means a site can penalized or
suppressed if they engaged in manipulative link building.
• If blocked by Google use the Disavow Backlinks service.
43. Do Follow Links vs. No Follow Links
• Search engines see a link as a "vote" of confidence. i.e. that you an
authority for the topic.
• All links by default are "do follow".This means a "vote" is passed
through the link.
• The "no follow" link attribute was developed by Google to tackle
spam. No follow links do not pass a "vote" through the link e.g.
<a href="www.yoursite.com" rel="nofollow">Your website</a>
• "Nofollow" provides a way for webmasters to tell search engines
"Don't follow links on this page" or "Don't follow this specific link.“
• Wikipedia, many blog comments and social networks use nofollow.
• No Follow Chrome Extension is a useful free tool.
44. Backlink Analysis
• Replicate your competitions rankings!
• Check theTOP 10 search results of your particular keywords.
• Using MOZBar to analyze the backlinks. (FreeTool)
• Using https://ahrefs.com to analyze the backlinks. (FreeTool)
• Using https://majestic.com to analyze the backlinks. (FreeTool)
45. Social Signals & SEO
• Links posted directly on social media are no follow!
• Social shared are also NOT counted as backlinks!
• Social signals are NOT important for SEO!
• Number of shared with the URL
• Number of people that link your brand on Facebook
• Number of Facebook shares
• Number ofTwitter followers
• Number ofTweets mentioning your brand name or link
• Social signals are NOT a part of Google indexing algorithm!
46. Why Social Signals Are Still Important?
• Links build awareness of what you are offering (don't even need to be
clicked, just seen).
• Links can lead to profit (awareness, engagement, purchase).
• Links can create more links (nofollow can create follow).
• Get ranked fast with Google+
• People Plus 1
• People Share on Google+
47. Preparing Great Contents
• A content strategy that will guarantee links.
• Use http://buzzsumo.com to analyze best contents for any topic
• Use https://en.mention.net not to miss anything online
49. Google Search Console (WebmasterTools)
Google Search Console is a no-charge web service by Google for webmasters. As of
May 20th, 2015, Google rebranded Google WebmasterTools as Google Search
Console. It allows webmasters to check indexing status and optimize visibility of their
websites. It has tools that let the webmasters:
• Submit and check a sitemap
• Check and set the crawl rate, and view statistics about how Googlebot accesses a particular site
• Generate and check a robots.txt file. It also helps to discover pages that are blocked in robots.txt by chance.
• List internal and external pages that link to the site
• Get a list of broken links for the site
• See what keyword searches on Google led to the site being listed in the SERPs, and the click through rates of such listings
• View statistics about how Google indexes the site, and if it found any errors while doing it
• Set a preferred domain (e.g. prefer example.com over www.example.com or vice versa), which determines how the site URL is displayed in
• Highlight to Google Search elements of structured data which are used to enrich search hit entries (released in December 2012 as Google
• Receive notifications from Google for manual penalties.
51. 6Ways to Get More Links
1. Contact those already linking to you
2. Contact your influencers
3. Reach out your targets (potential customers)
4. Leverage your mailing list (inform new contents by mail)
5. Add to the conversations (blogs, forums, faq)
6. Find unlinked mentions (using buzzsumo.com, mentions.net)
52. FinalThoughts &Thanks!
• Better understanding of SEO
• How to find proper keywords
• How to optimize keywords
• Strategies for creating proper content
• Getting backlinks from authority sites
• Social networks impact
• Some free tools to boost your SEO
• Check your SEO Score with WooRank Chrome Extention
• Thanks for joining and participating this workshop