SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
Pyramid Approach in Foreign
Dr. Ibrahim Koncak
International Ataturk Alatoo
• How can an ideal teaching be achieved or can
it be achieved?
Three Factors to Success in teaching &
• Educational Environment (School, Classrooms,
We all want the ideal!
• Teachers want ideal students, ideal
• Students want ideal teachers and ideal
• Administrators want ideal teachers, students,
and ideal environment.
But it always lacks in some form or other.
What is Pyramid Approach (PA)?
• It is an attempt to find an ideal teaching
• A hypothetical pyramid like diagram on which
students are placed hypothetically based on
their learning habits, language levels and
• It aims to develop heterogeneous class with
gradual progress to homogenous one in terms
of motivation, knowledge and learning habits.
How does it work?
• Target Language is the main goal, all others are
instruments to reach that goal, that is using the
language and using it in class.
• It uses Socratic Method, question-answer
• Questions goes to those who are likely able to
answer them. The easiest question goes to the
weakest; the most difficult one goes to the ablest.
( Do not ask questions if you anticipate there will
be no answer!)
How does it work?
• PA aims to develop a classroom environment
with students more or less the same interest,
motivation, knowledge and ability.
• It requires whole approach and work with all
• The goal of the teacher is to develop above
mentioned skills from the bottom of the
pyramid to the top.
Example Listening Activity
• Situation: On the recording a lady and gentleman customers are talking at
the hotel Lobby.
• Question 1: Who were talking? ( Ask this question the weakest student in
class. If he cannot answer prompt; man or woman? )
• Question 2: Where are they talking? ( Ask this to next weakest student. If
no answer provide options At hotel or Cinema )
• Question 3: What are they talking about?
• Question 4: What did she ask from him?
• Question 12: Why did she implied that she knows his wife? ( This implied
question is asked to the student at the top of the pyramid )
• Question 13: What are their occupations? ( This question is asked to the
student at the bottom of the pyramid to complete the cycle and check the
if the activity was followed by all in class )
• Identify students’ learning skills, previous
achievements, educational background, their
level in target language
• Place them on pyramid
• Prepare activities and class plans accordingly
• Line up questions according to the levels of
• If necessary conduct individual sessions
Difficulties to apply
• It takes time to identify students’ abilities,
especially if you are teaching first time to
• Time taking and requires focus on detail.
• It may be hard for beginners (fresh teachers)
• It is a new teaching approach and should be
developed with experimental work.
• For more information;
Koncak I (2016), Pyramid Approach in English
Teaching. Alatoo-Academic Studies, No:4,