1. Virus and Malware Removal Instructions
This is a virus and malware removal guide for windows based computer systems provided by IT
Web Resources. Self- Help malware removal instructions in 20 easy to follow steps:
1. Disable System Restore (Optional step): As an optional step, you can Disable
System Restore – go into Control Panel>System>System Restore tab>Disable
System Restore on all drives>OK. Malware has become system restore aware so
often restoring will not remove the malware.
2. Remove all floppy disks, CDs, and DVDs from your computer, and then restart
1. Repeatedly tap F8 key while your computer is starting up. Choose the “Safe
Mode with Networking” option. If you have previously downloaded the required
files to a USB stick or your computer hard disk, select the “Safe Mode” option.
For many users, “Safe Mode” is the better choice and will prevent your infected
computer from infecting other computers on your network but keep in mind that it
will prevent you form updating your anti- malware software.
2. Once at safe mode you might or might not be already logged in with a user
account that has administrator rights. If not log on to your computer with a user
account that has administrator rights.
3. Some forms of malware may add a proxy server which prevents the user from
accessing the internet,follow the below instructions to check and remove any
proxy server: Removing Proxy Settings By Browser
4. Rootkits and trojans can change your Windows registry settings so that when you
try to run a executable file , it will instead launch the infection rather than the
desired cleaning software.Download the exe- fix.bat file to fix the malicious
registry changes. Download exe- fix.bat (Size: 5.47 KB) Once the download is
complete, double-click the exe- fix.bat or right-click it and select Run as
5. Download the latest official version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware FREE.
From Official website: Malwarebytes Download
6. Install Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware by double clicking on mbam-setup follow
the prompts with the default selections. Leave both the Update Malwarebytes’
Anti-Malware and Launch Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware checked. Update will
only work if you are in Safe Mode with Networking else just lunch the
application without the update.
7. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware will now start if not start it and you’ll be prompted
to start a trial period , please select ‘Decline‘ as we just want to use the free
8. On the Scanner tab please select Perform full scan option and then click on the
Scan button to start the scanning process.
9. When the scan is finished a message box will appear, click OK to continue.
10. You will now be presented with a screen showing you the malware infections that
Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware has detected on your computer. Make sure that
everything is Checked (ticked) and click on the Remove Selected button.
2. 11. Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware will now start removing the malicious files.If
during the removal process Malwarebytes requests that it needs to reboot your
computer, please allow this request.
12. Next tool can be obtained he re download the Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool.
Double click the setup file to run it. Follow the onscreen prompts until it is
13. Click the Options button (the ‘Gear’ icon), then make sure only the following are
Hidden startup objects
Disk boot sectors
Local Disk (C:)
Also any other drives (Removable that you may have)
14. Then click on Actions on the left hand side. Click Select Action, then make sure
both Disinfect and Delete if disinfection fails are ticked.
15. Click on Automatic Scan now click the Start Scanning button, to run the scan.
When scan finishes restart the computer and lunch into windows.
16. Update your antivirus software and do a full scan of your computer system.
17. If you don’t have a antivirus installed on your computer download one of the
following free antivirus products: Avast! Free Antivirus, Microsoft Security
Essentials, AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition and Avira AntiVir Personal
18. Other useful applications to assist you in cleaning your infected system are listed
Sophos Anti- Rootkit
Autoruns for Windows
Find automated solutions for your Microsoft Windows related issues: Microsoft Fix it
If you have a system that has been completely compromised, the only thing you can do is to
flatten the system (reformat the system disk) and rebuild it from scratch (reinstall Windows and
your applications). But before you do that backup your files and try the steps above.