3. Lyndsay Williams of Microsoft Research's Cambridge
UK lab is the inventor of the Smart quill.
A pen that can remember the words that it is used to
write, and then transform them into computer text.
Smart Quill contains sensors that record data by the
movement of the pen, irrespective of the platform used.
4. Smart Quill is slightly larger than an ordinary pen.
The user trains the pen to recognize a particular
The really clever bit of technology is its ability to read
handwriting not only on paper but on any flat surface.
The pen is filled with a cartridge
5. Display Technology
Handwriting recognition & signature specification
Communication with other devices
6. Cyber Display is a ¼ inch diagonal LCD that uses circuitry
built on a silicon wafer.
There is a small 3 or 4 line screen to read the information
stored in the pen.
7. Here the user can train the pen to recognize the particular hand
Smart Quill works by measuring the pen movement &
matching them to the movements that produce letters & words
programmed into memory.
Password can be recognized by using the signature.
9. This technology uses a device called Accelerometer which is
used for measuring motion.
A tiny accelerometer in a pen used to detect the loops, arcs of
our handwriting, and transmits into a small microprocessor
that would make sense of its as text.
Invisible writing in air is achieved through this unique
technology called accelerometers that monitors hand
10. The data stored in the memory is uploaded to the personal
computer when it is placed into a docking station called
Future models could receive e-mails and pager messages
via a wireless messaging system .
11. It has 4MB EEPROM(Electrically Erasable Programmable
Read Only Memory) Memory.
At a time, we can store 10pages of notes can be stored locally
on the pen.
12. Smart Quill works on AAA(Antiaircraft Artillery Battery)
It can continuously works 12hrs with a single AAA
The pen has automatic off system.
13. Replace keyboard with smart quill
Input to other devices
It also provides handheld computer applications such as
digital diary, contacts, etc.
14. Spatial sensing system
Hand writing recognition
It also acts like a mouse
It supports wireless communication system.
15. Bigger in size, compared to a normal pen.
Modifying of mistakes
16. The estimated cost of this pen is around $200.
Smart quill is convenient to use.
Keyboards becomes so tiny, we require needle-like
fingers to operate the pen.