3. National Council for Educational Research & Training was set up in September 1961 as
an autonomous organization.
Union minister of MHRH is its president and all state Education Ministers are its member.
Secretary to the Ministry is it’s Director and an officer of the Minister is the Joint Director.
Main objectives are to promote, organize and foster research in all branches of education.
To organize advanced level training, to disseminate knowledge of improved educational
techniques and practices in the school systems.
Functions of NCERT & MSCERT by Asst.Prof. Ketan Kamble 3
4. The board functions through three standing sub committees:
i. The first dealing with research schemes, submitted to the council by other
ii. The second dealing with planning and coordinating educational studies and
research with the national institute of education.
iii. The third dealing with the extension and field services and regional college of
Functions of NCERT & MSCERT by Asst.Prof. Ketan Kamble 4
5. 1) Promotes, organizes and fosters research in all branches of education.
2) Organizes advanced level in-service training for teachers.
3) Disseminates knowledge of improved educational techniques and practices in the school
and college system.
4) Act as a storehouse of learning and with this objective undertakes special studies,
surveys and investigation.
5) Runs four regional college of education at Ajmer, Mysuru, Bhopal, Bhubaneshwar and
Functions of NCERT & MSCERT by Asst.Prof. Ketan Kamble 5
6. 6) Organizes workshops, seminars and educational conference.
7) Implements national policy on education by preparing guidelines and national
8) Initiates, guides and supervises Research and training projects and coordinates these
schemes at national level.
9) Publishes textbooks, research journals and papers instructional papers from preprimary
to college level.
10) Encourages school and college teachers to undertake research work.
Functions of NCERT & MSCERT by Asst.Prof. Ketan Kamble 6
8. Established by Department of Education and Social Welfare in January 1964 under
the name of State Institute of Education Science.
To improve the quality of primary education.
Restructuring of State Education Science and other state level educational
institutions (State Institute of Education, State of Maharashtra, Pune ; Institute
of Business Guidance and Selection, Mumbai; Institute of Audio-Visual
Education, Pune; State Institute of English Language Teaching, Mumbai; State
Institute of Science Education, Nagpur).
Maharashtra State Council for Educational Research and Training has been
established in August 1984.
This organization is run under the auspices of the Department of School Education
and Sports Mantralay, State of Maharashtra, Mumbai.
Functions of NCERT & MSCERT by Asst.Prof. Ketan Kamble 8
9. 1) To organize and implement the special educational projects sponsored by UNICEF,
NCERT and other agencies for qualitative improvement of school education and teacher
2) To prescribe curricula and textbooks for the school and teacher training institutions.
3) To produce instructional materials for the use of the teacher-educators.
4) To arrange in-service training for different categories of teachers, inspecting officers and
teacher-educators and coordinate the work of agencies operating at the state level.
5) To organize programs including correspondence-cum-contact courses for professional
development of teachers, teacher-educators and inspecting officers.
Functions of NCERT & MSCERT by Asst.Prof. Ketan Kamble 9
10. 6) To supervise the working of the Teacher Training colleges, Secondary Training Schools
and Elementary Training Schools.
7) To provide extension service to Teacher Training Institutions at all levels in the state.
8) To conduct studies and investigations on the various problems of education.
9) To evaluate the adult and non-formal education programmes entrusted by the
10) To conduct the public examinations specially at terminal stages with a view to selecting
candidates of scholarships through examinations.
Functions of NCERT & MSCERT by Asst.Prof. Ketan Kamble 10
11. Functions of NCERT & MSCERT by Asst.Prof. Ketan Kamble 11
Acknowledgement : Bhupendra Shrike (Typewriting)