2. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
I AM T-SHANK
• Nonprofit tech nerd: Implementing, Participating, Marketing P2P 100s of campaigns for 9.5
• Mother of two very loud and very social children
• Loves: KARAOKE, Writing, COFFEE!!!, Podcasting, Delving Into Videos, Turkey Hats
• Dislikes: Math, Cat Fur, Cucumbers, My weakness for queso
Follow me online at www.tshank.co
3. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
1 2 43
& our changing
to-Peer & The
How To Do It &
Best Practices +
Tools YOU can use
Is P2P or
10. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
“The most credible form of advertising comes straight
from the people we know and trust.”
Human-to-HumanWE ALL WANT CONNECTION. IT’ IN OUR NATURE.
12. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
Online crowdfunding is not just for a single
day. Crowdfunding campaigns can be
In 2015, donors gave approximately $16B to
crowdfunding, with $2.85 billion to charitable
Estimates predict that crowdfunding will
increase to $90 billion by 2020
Crowdfunding engages all
$88 is the average donation size
$534 is the average total amount raised by an
$9,237 is the average amount raised when
groups are working on a team to fundraise
28% of donors are repeat donors
source: “Cracking the Crowdfunding Code”
13. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
Make it easier for your supporters
to engage across their networks
directly from their mobile device.
The percentage of donations
made on a mobile device
continues to grow year-over-year.
Mobile Donations On The Rise
Data based on Kimbia customer online fundraising
15. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
It’s Here To Stay
SAN DIEGO FOUNDATION
• Drives significant new
• Recruits new, high
• Engages current
donors & major
The top 30 P2P Events raised $1.2B in 2015
– P2P Forum Annual Research Report
16. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
Effective for all levels of the
Active: Strong offer for active donors
Lapsed: Great reactivation tool for lapsed donors
Middle: Many donors upgrade to mid level giving categories
Major: Great opportunity to engage major donors
for matching funds
Corporate: Engagement on multiple levels: event
sponsorship, employee giving matching funds
New: 20 – 30% of responses come from new donors
17. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
What’s With All The Names?
18. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
Event, Campaign and Organization as the
Network fundraising by individuals via their
network for a specific cause/organization
• Run, Walk, Ride Events
• Event fundraising
• Annual campaign fundraising
• Endurance Events
• Tributes / Memorials
• Celebrations (birthdays)
Cause or Issue as the driver, often with
individual as driver
Network fundraising by individuals toward
a time-sensitive, goal-oriented project or
• Giving Days
• Project based
• Emergency fund
• Maybe be used interchangeably in some contexts
• Each may contain an element of the other or be a component of the other
• Evolving practice—confusion of terminology and application
24. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
25. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
Define Your Goals, Needs & Solutions
What are your specific needs for launching a
crowdfunding or peer to peer program?
• As a member of Fundraising or Development?
• As a chapter or affiliate leader?
• As a member of Marketing or Communications?
• As a member of IT?
1. What pain will your new crowdfunding or peer-to-peer
2. Specify three goals for your new event
26. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
Set Goals & Benchmark
• What is your overall
• Are those goals realistic and
• Are they relevant to your
• Can you set goals for
specific times of the day?
Average Emails Sent
per Participant – 23
Dollars Raised per
Participant - $450 to
Average Number of
Gifts per Participant -
7 to 13
05% to 30% of those
who give are new
25% to 35% of traffic
3x to 5x ROI for
27. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
Type of Campaign
Peer to Peer
Athletic Events Yes Sometimes Both Sometimes Medium Moderate
Celebrations No No Evergreen No Low Moderate
Tributes and Memorial
No No Evergreen No Low Moderate
Giving Days Sometimes Yes One-Time Sometimes High High
Projects and Ventures No No One-Time No Low Moderate
Emergency Response No Sometimes One-Time No Low High
Choose A Model
that’s right for YOU
28. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
Define Your Audience & Value Prop
• Major Donors
• First Time Donors
• An underserved donor
• How you solve a problem
• Why your campaign? What
makes you different?
• Show impact
• Use the language of your
• No jargon
29. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
Assign An Owner & The Technology
• Assign a project manager
• Build a realistic timeline
• Publicize all tasks in a project
• Educate board members,
volunteers, chapter and affiliate
leadership, and programs
•Protects your brand
•Provides you with donor data (easily)
•Features real-time leader boards or campaign
•Makes forms and fundraising pages easy to
•Reduces form abandonment
•Includes multi-currency, multi-payment options
32. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
for Walk by 28%
in 2014, and 95%
of that came from
33. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
User Experience Is King
WE HAVE TO SHIFT OUR APPROACH TO DONORS & WORK IN THEIR WORLD
• Mobile, mobile, mobile
• Social, social, social
• Connection & engagement
• Less clicks, easy, easy, easy
36. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
Have A Social Strategy & Make It Fun
Provide some email and social
suggested message templates
37. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
FOCUS ON THE BIG PICTURE
COACHING: Registered Participants
Year-round Communication: Impact
RECRUITMENT: ALL-STAR SUPPORTERS
RECRUITMENT: Past Participants
RECRUITMENT: New Acquisition
38. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
Past 2-3 years of Team Captains =
Set Goal Higher / Mentor
Past 2-3 years of Top Individual Fundraisers =
Be A Team Captain
Past 2-3 years of Individual Participants =
Come Back / Start or Join Team
Donated in the last 6-12 months =
RECRUIT, RECRUIT, RECRUIT
39. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
The Pareto Principle claims
that only a "vital few" peapods
produce the majority of peas.
THE 80/20 RULE
40. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
Make A Self Donation
Page, Make it Personal
Ask, Ask, Ask:
Ask, Ask, Ask:
Share on Social
Ask, Ask, Ask:
Ask In Person
Turn in Offline $
Share Your Goal = Hold
Thank your Donors
Ask Fundraisers To Do The Following
42. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
T-Shank’s Toolbox: Tech
CANVA FOR GRAPHICS MAIL CHIMP FOR MARKETING AUTOMATION
EASY AND BEAUTIFUL
43. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
So Easy The Marketing Dept Can Do ItIT’S EASY AND INEXPENSIVE TO BUILD A BEAUTIFUL WEB PRESENCE FOR YOUR ORGANIZATION
44. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
Johnhaydon.com for 15 minute
webinars every Wednesday
T-Shank’s Toolbox: Stratey & Marketing
45. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
1. GET EVERYONE TOGETHER
2. AGREE ON A PROJECT
3. CREATE REALISTIC
4. USE A TOOL TO
COLLABORATE AND GET
OUT OF THE INBOX
– to name a few
46. KIMBIA| FUNDRAISE FASTER. @KIMBIAINC @TSHANKCYCLES.
About KimbiaDriven by the donor experience.
Kimbia provides online fundraising software that is fast and easy
for the donor to use, driving more engagement and revenue.
Reduce barriers, engage
donors, turn one-time donors
into repeat donors
Increase donations by
empowering supporters with
Maximize your event ROI
with an exceptional
Deliver effective one-day
Reporting and CRM Integration
We are living in the greatest technological era.
I believe we are living in the greatest era for fundraising.
It is easier than ever before to harness the power of technology, the crowd, and automation to raise money for your cause.
I truly think we are on the brink of the great automation revolution since the automobile assembly line.
It’s not just for profit brands that are seeing increased engagement in virtual worlds. It’s not just for profit brands who are held to high levels of expectations. As fundraising professionals, we have to keep up with the times, be agile and take advantage of the fact that while there is a lot more noise now, there are also a lot more tools for cutting through that noise.
You might be feeling like this.
But the question is, is it all hype?
For those of you who remember these shoes, these were hype
Heather Locklier has been doing peer-to-peer since the 80s
THE ASK IS MORE EFFECTIVE WHEN IT COMES FROM A FRIEND
American Red Cross was 20% in 2016 for Mobile Donations
Whether for profit, informational, review or funddraising, what do all of these have in common?
People asking people. People recommending for people.
Just like those social and review sites that we all use in our daily lives, P2P has entered the charitable space.
It’s the peer effect, peer pressure
Basic Math > increased revenue + decreased donor acquisition cost
Short term > allows the Org to spend less $$$ on generating new donations
Long term > This allows the Org to spend less $$$ on generating new donor list & segments
Show of hands: Who in this room is confused by all of the nomenclature?
WHITE BOARD IT OUT
Recalling requirements detailed on the whiteboard, which are YOUR organizations top requirements for your new program?
Which event program best meets your needs?
This is not a red pill or blue pill scenario. There’s no silver bullet, no magic pill
But when we talk about silver bullets we have to take a step back and ask ourselves, do we actually live in a silver bullet world? And, how can we determine what the right areas of focus are for our particular program and our organization. What may be a silver bullet for one organization, is not necessarily the winning ticket for another.
It’s more like eating your broccoli. What I like to refer to as “eating your vegetables.” There is nothing less sexy than talking about best practices, but I guarantee that if you pick 5 best practices to focus on, you will move the needle.
Example of how I used to work with the Alzheimer’s Association, they said “We increased online fundraising for Walk by 28% in 2014, and 95% of that came from reinforcing best practices.“
Technology is becoming easier to use
User Experience is King
Ways to support
These are the recommended groups of supporters you should have targeted messaging for
What behaviors would you like to promote in your participants? Pick yours, and coach to them. How do you choose which ones to focus on? Run your numbers, compare with benchmarks.
We will record this, etc…
I’m really excited for Audrey to show this to you today, but first I want to set the stage for why we care about team updates, and why we care so much about peer to peer. I believe some of you are using peer to peer, but some of you may be thinking about using peer to peer, so I’d like to first take a step back and talk about the value of peer to peer and team fundraising, and give you some things to think about.