1. How, what do you mean?
• Unlike HARDSKILLSwhich are about a person's skill
set and ability to perform a certain type of task or
• SOFTSKILLS are interpersonal skills that
characterize a person's relationships with other people.
In the workplace, soft skills are considered a
complement to hard skills
“It's often said that hard skills will get you an interview but you need soft skills to get (and keep)
2. Professional Development
• Ever wondered why some people can really ‘annoy you’ and
why you seem to ‘get along really well’ with others?
• There is good explanation for these differences!
• And much we can do as a Team to learn more about…
• WHAT MAKES US TICK?
• ONCE we do that, we can use this knowledge for our own career
advancement and the betterment of SIPU and Deakin more
3. What is Enneagram?
• Enneagram is a condensation of universal wisdom, common-
sense philosophy and psychology which provides
extraordinary insights into human behaviour, particularly our
• The primary goal and purpose of the Enneagram is self
knowledge; its ancillary benefit is that it allows us to
understand the behaviour of others, and with that
understanding, to be more accepting and compassionate.
4. Case Study – My experience
• In 2006, I attended Enneagram training as a member of the
• 15 staff attended the training
• Over 2 days
• Away from the office location
• The team before attending training?
- Could be described as ‘Change Fatigued’
- Some staff moving into Planning as a result of Restructure
- Some staff moving out of Planning into other Units
- Some staff moving out of Planning with a helping hand!
- The unit was transitioning to a new place……
5. My experience cont……
• Working through the 9 Enneagram types was enlightening
and at times confronting
• By the end of the day, I’d identified ‘MY TYPE’
• Gaining insights about what drove me and my thinking!
• And even more intriguing, the insights about my work
6. Life after Enneagram training
How did it help?
• Team members developed a greater mutual respect,
built on each others’ strengths, and were more tolerant
of individual differences
• Knowing how I was different from others around me
enhanced working relationships, enabling a more
productive working environment
• These insights enabled me to work towards controlling
dysfunctional behaviours and developing strengths
7. Where to from here?
Check it out for yourselves!
SIPU TEAM CHALLENGE!
IDENTIFY DEB’S ENNEAGRAM TYPE
all correct entries will win a prize (thanks Michael .C)