2. Leadership is a process by which a person
influences others to accomplish an objective
and directs the organization in a way that
makes it more cohesive and coherent.
What is leadership in human resource management?
3. Leadership Development
Coaching and developing
Leadership development is
a set of activities that
prepare current and future
leaders to perform
effectively in their roles.
enables employees to
improve their skills in areas
4. What is leadership development and its importance?
Leadership development equips leaders with skills that can help them
enhance the productivity of their team. Enhanced employee engagement
can be achieved through leadership development programs as it focuses on
sketching out a clear path for employees who aim to assume leadership
Leadership development boosts employee engagement, increases the
organization's ability to deal with gaps in the talent pipeline, and
reduces the headaches and costs associated with turnover. Great
leaders attract, hire, and inspire great people.
5. Why leadership development is important
Leaders are essential for all lines of business in an
organization, especially since leadership and management go
hand in hand.
When employees in a firm aim to assume leadership roles,
they might not be sure about the appropriate course of
action. This is where leadership development programs
6. What is a leadership development program?
The transition from an employee to a leader can be a tough task
to accomplish. While moving up the ladder in your organization,
it is essential that you have the apt skills to become a leader.
These skills can be acquired through leadership development
programs. They are organized by companies to serve two
purposes; firstly, to offer employees a clear pathway for taking
up managerial roles and secondly, to help existing leaders hone
7. More and more organizations are
emphasizing the need for leadership
development programs. The reason
behind this is that it benefits the
firm as well as the employees,
making it a win-win situation for
8. To create an
program, you need
to ensure that the
are included. The
ingredients of a
Identify and define:
It is important that you recognize the leadership
needs of your organization and then work your way
up. While creating a leadership program, consider
the following factors:
o The short-term and long-term strategic goals
of the organization;
o Existing or expected leadership gaps;
o Leadership traits that are critical to the
o Alignment of the leadership program with the
company’s growth and demands;
o The impact of leadership programs on your
9. Focus on development:
Identify potential leaders:
o A minimum number of participants in the program;
o Impact of the program on employees’ professional
o Impact of the program on employees’ leadership skills
A company needs leaders to drive it towards a
10. Leaders should be equipped with skills
that will help them lead a team of
employees to a more productive and
profitable goal. Leadership development
programs must help future and existing
leaders to derive optimal productivity
from their work peers.
11. How to improve leadership skills
Although assuming the role of a leader may
not be your cup of tea, it is possible for
anyone to learn and acquire leadership
skills. So, if you are also looking to improve
your leadership skills, here are some tips:
12. - It is essential that, as a leader, you have a clear vision of the goals pertaining
to the organization as well as the team.
- Identify your strengths and weaknesses and try to use them to your benefit.
- Maintaining a positive approach towards situations can help shape the
confidence of your team.
- Effective communication contributes significantly to the success of a team.
- Motivation, whether internal or external, is one of the most important
- There are different leadership styles that work in different settings. Ensure
that you identify the leadership theories that are apt for your organization and
13. organizations that have invested in leadership development have seen a positive effect on recruitment
and retention of employees.
Leadership development equips leaders with skills that can help them enhance the productivity of
Enhanced employee engagement can be achieved through leadership development programs as it
focuses on sketching out a clear path for employees who aim to assume leadership roles.
It helps set role models for future leaders and encourages them to improve their leadership skills.
It ensures that any leadership gaps are avoided, especially in the face of change in the leadership
The RoI (Return on Investment) from a leadership development program is very positive. It helps
potential leaders to take up managerial roles and also boosts the productivity of employees. This can
further translate into profitable business decisions and strategies.
Leadership development programs have proven to be substantial in improving corporate culture. It will
bring about an optimistic influence on the organization and it works as a great morale booster.
It can help in identifying potential leaders, who are capable of navigating through challenges in an
unpredictable business situation.
2016 McQuaig Global Talent Recruitment Report
14. Leadership development is a requirement for leaders to stay effective in a
rapidly changing environment. Evolving work methods, stakeholder
requirements, and disruptive technologies mean that leaders must
constantly search for new ways to lead with optimum impact and
Why Do We Need Leadership Development?
Leadership Development enables continuous improvement and the
acquisition of new methods, abilities, and skills, which help leaders to
improve their effectiveness and take on future challenges. Leadership
development is essential for retaining and enhancing the ability to lead
others over time.
15. Benefits of Leadership Development
Leadership development allows managers
and corporate leaders to keep up with the
continuous evolution in leadership and its
associated skills, such as communication,
motivation, empathy, management,
visualization, analysis, and others.
16. Awareness of societal change, disruptions within the
competitive landscape, cultural understanding, global politics,
and customer trends enables adaptive leadership methods and
strategies in the workspace, applicable to many professional
areas. While many leadership skills focus on managing
employees and teams, appropriate development of a leader’s
awareness, reaction speed, inventiveness, and execution will
avoid disruption and instead enable the disruption of others,
drastically impacting calculated predictions, profits, and the
Getting and Edge vs. Competition
17. To succeed, you need to be better than the competition, i.e.,
cheaper, faster, better quality, or similarly to succeed.
Being better means that leadership is even more important to
get that extra performance out of the team. Proper leadership
development provides leaders with new tools and perspectives,
reflection, self-awareness, and more impactful and intentional
leadership, helping the company stay ahead of the curve.
18. - Worker Morale and Motivation Improvement
- Employee Retention Focus
Leadership development can bring
awareness of employee engagement and
retention issues and improve
empowerment, empathy, and transparency,
making people feel more connected to their
team, organization, and purpose, thus
19. Mentoring may be an excellent option if you know
of a talented leader who works in the same field or
professional context and is experienced in the
industry. Mentoring can be very effective if a good
mentor-mentee match is achieved. Mentoring offers
versatility and personalized learning possibilities, in
addition to being exposed to real-world experiences
and opportunities for practical learning.
20. Collective Leadership focuses on creating a
favorable environment where leadership can
blossom rather than actively developing leaders
themselves. Essentially, this approach involves
the entire team in decision-making and
leadership, exposing them to dialogues and
discussions they might otherwise never have
experienced while bringing out more ideas and
perspectives at the same time.
Collective Leadership Strategies
21. Why Great Leadership is Vital
1. They Help Motivate And Grow Employees
2. They Move The Business Forward
3. They Create Loyal Customers
4. They Create Passionate Brand Ambassadors
5. They Inspire Other Leaders To Be Great
22. “Leader development focuses on developing
individual knowledge, skills, and abilities (human
capital), whereas leadership development
focuses on building networked relationships
(social capital) among individuals in an
What is the difference between leader and
23. How leadership development programs benefit the entire organization?
• Improving the bottom-line
• Attract, develop and retain talent
• Drive strategy execution
• Increase success in navigating change
24. What elements are important in a leadership development program?
• Coaching and Mentoring
• Change management
• Influence and negotiation
• Goals and milestones
25. Be aware of the leadership context
You need an effective strategy, of course, to ensure
everyone is on the same page and working towards
established goals. Translating the strategy into a
vision of what needs to be achieved is just as
important. This will ensure that employees go out of
their way to deliver excellence, going the extra mile to
achieve goals together - for the company, for the
project, for the bigger picture.
26. Make sure you and your team have the same
understanding of the leadership mix
Establishing clear guidelines about
understanding and communicating
these roles should be vital for all
27. HR leadership skills tip:
HR leaders come together in a group and ask the following
• What are the business challenges my organization is facing?
• What’s the context in which I am leading?
• Do you need to optimize your leadership mix?
• What may be the best role mix to be effective?
• How am I supposed to deal with real situations?
• How do I need to adapt my leadership behavior?
28. How I understand my role as a HR Leader?
My role expected by those being led
Find out what your employees expect
from you and follow through!
29. HR and leadership development
Providing the right framework is a key aspect
in HR. HR should run workshops,
training and leadership coaching
sessions so that people have time to
reflect on the context, their roles and
30. 5 Ways HR Can Help Develop Leaders
1. Leadership training and development
2. Promotion systems
3. Employee-centric approach
4. Helping managers take a team-based approach
5. HR and senior management collaboration
31. • Building critical skills and competencies
• Organizational design and change management
• Current and future leadership bench
• Future of Work
• DEI (Diversity, Equity and Inclusion)
HR leaders focus on in 2022?
32. Key HR Trends for 2022?
1: Hybrid work is driving business transformation
2: More and new skills are needed
3: Workforce health is being eroded
4: Employees want to feel understood and valued
5: Mounting pressure on diversity, equity and inclusion
33. • Prepare to take on greater accountability for driving innovation and executing business
transformation in a hybrid work model.
• Support the development of a hybrid work model by using human-centric design to offer
flexible experiences, enable intentional collaboration and drive empathy-based management.
• Use a more dynamic approach to manage shifting skills needs.
• Foster long-term workforce resilience by reassessing workforce support offerings to drive
workforce health, not just performance.
• Accelerate progress on DEI goals by establishing consequential accountability for DEI in your
• Elevate your personal and board impact by targeting CHRO (Chief Human Resource Officer)
driven differentiators of board success.
• Organize the HR function to achieve its goals of agility, customer centricity and operational
HR priorities for 2022, the focus will be to:
35. How to equip Leaders for today’s Challenges
and the Future
Creating A Culture Of Opportunities
Adopting A Team-Based Approach
Pursuing Creative Recruitment
Developing Leaders In HR
Opening Communication Channels
Using Motivational Skills
Displaying Emotional Intelligence
Employing Organizational Skills
Providing Moral Leadership
37. Signs of denial might include employees making
comments such as:
• “I don’t see color. I am colorblind.”
• “Racism didn’t exist in our organization until you brought
it into conversations.”
• “Talking about race is racist.”
• “Women/another underrepresented group choose to live
their lives in a way that results in their slow career
38. • “I didn’t want to say the wrong thing, so I didn’t respond to his
• “We’re too busy doing our work; we shouldn’t be spending time
• “But it’s a problem everywhere, and it’s not unique to our
• “I won’t bother engaging at all, because it frustrates me.”
• “This may be a problem, but it’s not a problem for the
Signs of disengagement might include comments such as:
39. No. 1: Eliminate “outsiderness”
No. 2: Bring everyone on board
No. 3: Demonstrate care through benefits and
Three actions to promote belonging