Can treat many forms of nausea,
especially morning sickness
• Ginger appears to be highly effective against nausea (3Trusted
• It may help relieve nausea and vomiting for people undergoing
certain types of surgery. Ginger may also help chemotherapy-related
nausea, but larger human studies are needed (4Trusted Source,
5Trusted Source, 6Trusted Source, 7).
• However, it may be the most effective when it comes to pregnancy-
related nausea, such as morning sickness.
• According to a review of 12 studies that included a total of 1,278 pregnant
women, 1.1–1.5 grams of ginger can significantly reduce symptoms of nausea.
• However, this review concluded that ginger had no effect on vomiting episodes
• Although ginger is considered safe, talk with your doctor before taking large
amounts if you’re pregnant.
• It’s recommended that pregnant women who are close to labor or who’ve had
miscarriages avoid ginger. Ginger is contraindicated with a history of vaginal
bleeding and clotting disorders as well (9Trusted Source).
May help with weight loss
• Ginger may play a role in weight loss, according to studies conducted in humans
• A 2019 literature review concluded that ginger supplementation significantly
reduced body weight, the waist-hip ratio, and the hip ratio in people with
overweight or obesity (10Trusted Source).
• A 2016 study of 80 women with obesity found that ginger could also help reduce
body mass index (BMI) and blood insulin levels. High blood insulin levels are
associated with obesity.
• Study participants received relatively high daily doses — 2 grams — of ginger
powder for 12 weeks (11, 12).
• A 2019 literature review of functional foods also concluded that ginger had a very
positive effect on obesity and weight loss. However, additional studies are needed (13).
• The evidence in favor of ginger’s role in helping prevent obesity is stronger in animal
• Rats and mice who consumed ginger water or ginger extract consistently saw decreases
in their body weight, even in instances where they’d also been fed high fat diets
(14Trusted Source, 15, 16).
• Ginger’s ability to influence weight loss may be related to certain mechanisms, such as its
potential to help increase the number of calories burned or reduce inflammation (13,