Ce diaporama a bien été signalé.
Nous utilisons votre profil LinkedIn et vos données d’activité pour vous proposer des publicités personnalisées et pertinentes. Vous pouvez changer vos préférences de publicités à tout moment.
The Green House
Effect and GLOBAL
WARMING
By Leisl Brewster, Megan Gonsalves and
Aleisha Anderson
What is the Green House effect?
• This is the process by which
certain gases in the atmosphere
absorb infrared radiation t...
How does the Green House Effect work?
1. Energy from the sun beats down on the earth.
2. The atmosphere reflects about 30%...
How else can the Green House
effect occur?
The term “greenhouse effect” does not only
exist due to naturally occurring gre...
Using Carbon Dioxide as an example of
the enhanced GREEN HOUSE GAS EFFECT
Carbon Dioxide naturally
occurs due to:
• Decay ...
What is Global
Warming?
This refers to the average increase
in the surface temperature of the
earth.
It is largely attribu...
What are the effects of Global Warming?
Global Warming has wide-ranging effects such as:
1. Increased sea levels (e.g in t...
What are the effects of Global Warming?
2. Extreme Weather Conditions – As sea
surface temperature increases, this provide...
What are the effects of Global Warming?
3. Melting of Permafrost – This is permanently
frozen soil with high concentration...
Green house effect and Global Warming
Prochain SlideShare
Chargement dans…5
×

Green house effect and Global Warming

3 557 vues

Publié le

Just a brief introduction.

Publié dans : Environnement
  • Login to see the comments

Green house effect and Global Warming

  1. 1. The Green House Effect and GLOBAL WARMING By Leisl Brewster, Megan Gonsalves and Aleisha Anderson
  2. 2. What is the Green House effect? • This is the process by which certain gases in the atmosphere absorb infrared radiation to maintain the temperature of the Earth. • Examples of Green House gases include:
  3. 3. How does the Green House Effect work? 1. Energy from the sun beats down on the earth. 2. The atmosphere reflects about 30% of solar radiation back into space. 3. The other 70% (mainly ultraviolet and visible light), penetrates the atmosphere and is absorbed and re-emitted by the green house gases, warming the earth. Heat re-radiated back to earth Green House gases absorb radiation
  4. 4. How else can the Green House effect occur? The term “greenhouse effect” does not only exist due to naturally occurring green house gases; but also those which are emitted as a result of human activity. Human Activity Green House Gases Emitted Use of Fertilizers Nitrogenous Oxides Refrigerants and aerosol propellants CFCs Combustion of fossil fuels Carbon Dioxide Nitrogenous Oxides Sulphur Dioxide Decomposing Landfills Methane
  5. 5. Using Carbon Dioxide as an example of the enhanced GREEN HOUSE GAS EFFECT Carbon Dioxide naturally occurs due to: • Decay of plants • Volcanic Eruptions • Waste product of aerobic respiration in animals NB: According to BBC, Carbon Dioxide is responsible for 60% of the enhanced green house effect. But however, due to human activity such as: • Burning of fossil fuels for transportation and electric power generation in homes, businesses and factories. • Deforestation for the urbanization or agricultural expansion. The green house effect is enhanced due to more Carbon Dioxide present in the atmosphere due to these activities, hence allowing more of the sun’s radiation to be absorbed and re-emitted. This has caused the earth to become excessively warmer.
  6. 6. What is Global Warming? This refers to the average increase in the surface temperature of the earth. It is largely attributed to the enhanced green house effect via anthropogenic activity.
  7. 7. What are the effects of Global Warming? Global Warming has wide-ranging effects such as: 1. Increased sea levels (e.g in the Maldives) – As polar ice caps melt and fall into the sea, ocean levels will rise. E.g Snow coverage has decreased by 10% in the last 30 years in the Artic. This can pose many other complications such as: • Flooding of agricultural lowlands • Saltwater intrusion into underground aquifers, contaminating drinking water.
  8. 8. What are the effects of Global Warming? 2. Extreme Weather Conditions – As sea surface temperature increases, this provides optimum conditions for storm formation, increasing the frequency and intensity of natural disasters such as hurricanes. E.g Super Storm Sandy Further complications can arise as lives and property are lost.
  9. 9. What are the effects of Global Warming? 3. Melting of Permafrost – This is permanently frozen soil with high concentrations of methane locked inside which one emitted, reiterates the green house effect. 4. Threats to biodiversity – The extinction of biotic species can occur.

×