NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF FASHION TECHNOLOGY
SUBJECT: FASHION RETAILAND MALL MANAGEMENT
DETAIL STUDY OF A BRAND (FABINDIA)
Date: FEBURARY 3, 2017
FASHION MANAGEMENT STUDIES
• In terms of number of stores: 231 stores in 88 cities and 10 international
stores (2 stores in Singapore & Dubai and 1 store each in Italy, Nepal,
Malaysia, Mauritius, USA, UAE
• In terms of number of employees work: Fabindia links over 55,000 craft
based rural producers to modern urban markets, thereby creating a base for
skilled, sustainable rural employment, and preserving India's traditional
handicrafts in the process.
• In terms of turnover: In 2008, Fabindia had a revenue of $65 million, a
30% increase from the previous year. Fabindia sources its product from
across India through 17 community-owned companies; a certain percentage
of the shares of which are held by artisans and craftpersons
• At Fabindia we celebrate India, and endeavour to bring all that we love about India
to customers around the world.
• We will harness the transformative power of a well-run business committed to
profitable growth in support of Fabindia’s Vision. We will strengthen and support
our community of customers, designers, artisans, farmers, makers and entrepreneurs
inspired by India. We will give our customers products that delight them by
interpreting our rich heritage and traditional knowledge, while protecting the natural
VALUES & GUIDING PRINCIPLES
• To ensure that we delight our customers with our products and service,
and always make them feel that they are getting great value for their
• To design, make and sell products with intrinsic worth that comes from
the original designs, knowledge, care and skill with which these are
• To be true to our commitment and history as an ethical and trust-worthy
brand promoting a stake-holder based community model of inclusive
• To constantly share our Vision with our employees, suppliers, business
associates and customers, so that we collectively ensure that all our
actions are in service of our Vision, Mission and Guiding Principles.
• It opened its first retail store in Greater Kailash, New Delhi. Today it has
over 240 stores across India and abroad, and is managed by his son,
• FabIndia, plans to set up 10-12 outlets over the next 2-3 years. The
firm currently has a turnover of around Rs 120 crore a year from their
29 existing stores.
• 10 stores were opened across India this year and plans are afoot to
maintain this pace of expansion.
• Over the next 12 months, the company will also invest an
additional Rs.100 crore to expand its retail network across metros
where it will add 35-40 stores and outside India. The company already
has a presence in Dubai and Singapore.
CSR MISSION OF FAB INDIA:
(Prescribed under schedule VII of companies act 2013)
• Promotion of Education and Vocational Skills
• Social Welfare
• Empowerment of women
• Sanitation and Healthcare
• Conservation of Environment
• Rural Development projects
• Disaster Relief
• Garments Based (Shoppers Stop, Westside, Globus, Reliance Trends Max
• Government Handloom Initiatives. (Khadi Gramadyog. Cottage Industries
emporium Stat Government Department)
• Designer Boutiques: Ethnic wear Retailer like Khaddar Good things and
Stand Alone Store Like Shirti, Biba, Prapti, Sadka etc.
• Local tailors who provide customized garments to the customer at an
• Local NGO’s Selling wares like Dilly, hats etc.
It is located in premium malls as well as in market places
There is a possibility that Fabindia might change its stance on advertising as it enters the global markets. As a policy, it does not advertise for promoting its brand or store, as it believes that its product range will speak for itself given that the brand identity is very distinct.Fabindia continues its drive to revive traditional craft in India, a natural outcome of their commitment to the crafts sector