Felicia is a 24-year-old
living by herself in the
city with a disposable
income who spends
most of her free time
Creativity and Personal Expression
• She loves being creative and feels the need to express herself from something
deep within her. She does so by blogging, filming YouTube videos, capturing
pictures with Instagram, writing beauty reviews, creating fashion collages on
Polyvore, contributing articles to female magazines, commenting on beauty
websites, participating in forums and bookmarking beautiful pictures on Pinterest.
• With so much time spent online and on her mobile, it is no wonder that she has
weaker interpersonal skills
Openness, Social Sharing and Validation
• She likes the social validation that comes from her tribe in the form of Facebook
likes, Twitter retweets and Pinterest repins. She spends time sharing interesting
links with her friends on Skype and Gchat.
• She uses at least 10 different personal care products a day. She sells and buys
handmade jewelry on Etsy. She subscribes to Birchbox. She downloads shopping
apps on her phone.
• She wants good advice and guidance but retain the power and given enough
Health and Beauty Wellness
• She takes good care of her skin and
appearance because she believes that the
outside is a canvas of who she is on the inside.
• She has no brand loyalty and would try out
new brands that appeal to her.
• She puts life before jobs
Her Social Identity
• She is an early adopter, an influencer and a
tastemaker. She reads beauty blogs and
magazines because she likes to be the first to
know about the latest trends. If anything catches
her eye, she’ll share it with thousands of friends
and followers on social media networks.
• She is hipster. She is unique and likes to
differentiate herself by rejecting mass-produced
• She is altruistic. She is mindful of of how her
purchases affects the environment and likes
to be a part of a cause bigger than herself.
• She values authenticity and buys things that
represents who she is. She is well-informed
and can see through deceptive labeling and
false gimmicks. She is distrustful of faceless
corporations that will do anything at the
expense of profitability.
• Link our customization platform and internal
resources to the outside world (let the
customers tell us what they want through a
• Instead of an internal R&D process, structure
an open R&D process that invites partners
and customers to participate in the creation of
• Offering a large number of niche
products, each of which sells relatively
• Low inventory cost and strong platforms
Form deeper relationships with a group of early-
adopters and tastemakers who will be the
evangelists of our products.
Lower acquisition costs since early-adopters like to
be the first to access a product.
They are more willing to try it out and more forgiving
of a less-than-perfect product.
– Kickstarter Campaign
– Affiliate Traffic
– Search Engine Marketing (Google Adwords, SEO)
– Media Exposure (female magazines and websites)
– Public Relations (sending out personalized products to
bloggers and other big brands)
• Global Market Size: $350 Billion Per Year (According to
• U.S. Market Size:
– 2010: $33.3 billion
– Growth of $2.6 Billion
• U.S Organic:
– 2010: $5 billion
– Growth of $1.7 Billion
• Skincare: Largest portion of the beauty industry
• E-commerce & mass customization are new markets that have high-
Other Industry Trends
• Recession-proof (Consumers may not buy cars of
diamonds, but they still indulge in small guilty
• Products have high profit margins (Lower cost of
goods sold) and customers are willing to pay
• Lower customer acquisition costs since it is easier
to go viral as women are communicators and top
users of social media networks and shopping
Melissa Lim (Team Leader)
• Managed a cross-functional team
of 11 at Singapore’s No.1
• Managed beauty events with over
• Part of a team that launched a
women’s magazine that sold out
• Launched OpenRice.com, Asia’s
No.1 Online Dining Guide in
• PhD Candidate at University of
• UCSB Visiting Researcher
• Team Leader of A-Pole, mobile
Studio, team just got accepted
to H-Farm one of the top
incubators in Europe
• Fencing Champion in Santa
• Technical and product
management roles across
various domains such as small
(Intuit), creative professionals
(Adobe), CRM (Salesforce), e-
Commerce (Swimoutlet) and
medical devices (Alcon)
• Masters in Computer Science
• Founder of IzKit, an e-
commerce software provider
• Physicist by education
• Working at Origins, a company
that prides itself as being
powered by nature and proven
• Brings her love and research
for natural ingredients to our
Apparemment, vous utilisez un bloqueur de publicités qui est en cours d'exécution. En ajoutant SlideShare à la liste blanche de votre bloqueur de publicités, vous soutenez notre communauté de créateurs de contenu.
Vous détestez les publicités?
Nous avons mis à jour notre politique de confidentialité.
Nous avons mis à jour notre politique de confidentialité pour nous conformer à l'évolution des réglementations mondiales en matière de confidentialité et pour vous informer de la manière dont nous utilisons vos données de façon limitée.
Vous pouvez consulter les détails ci-dessous. En cliquant sur Accepter, vous acceptez la politique de confidentialité mise à jour.