The social being of women was invested with
new meanings, new dimensions; these were
imposed on them, and their social
Image of the Filipino woman then became
tied to the house whose only duty was to
take care of the husband and the children,
It also became a father’s good girl, a husband’s
subject, and a long-suffering woman with sealed
lips and silent sobs and has no right to
participate political undertakings.
Gender Discrimination is STILL
"Whenever I saw
him, I hid. I hated to
see him," recalls
Tahani, pictured here,
of the early days of
her marriage to
Majed, when she was
6 and he was 25. The
couple live in Yemen.
It is because of…
CULTURE OF SILENCE
Violence Against Women
…continues to be a major
social and public health issue
affecting thousands of women
not only in the Philippines but
in the whole world.
…associated with unequal
power relations between men
and women which are greatly
influenced by the patriarchal
and masculine culture of
WHAT IS ANTI-VAWC ACT?
RA 9262 is
Violence against women and children is
• Any act or a series of acts committed by any
person against a woman who is his wife,
• Against a woman with whom the person has
or had a sexual or dating relationship, or with
whom he has common child,
• Against her child whether legitimate or
illegitimate, within or without the family
Who are considered CHILDREN?
• Anyone below 18 years of age, or
older but incapable of taking
care themselves, including the
biological children of the victim and
other children under her care.
• Relationship, past or present;
• Married or not;
• Living-in or not;
• Sexual or dating relationship; and
• Including lesbian relationships
with common child
Centre of Approach?
• Husband, ex-husband;
• Boyfriend, ex-boyfriend;
• Father of the woman’s child;
• Lesbian girlfriends/partners or ex-partners
• Any person with whom the woman has/had a
sexual or dating relationship
Who could be liable?
What are the FOUR (4) ACTS that
constitute VAWC ?
A.) Physical violence – bodily harm or physical
B.) Sexual violence is an act, which is sexual in
nature such as rape, sexual harassment. It includes,
but is not limited to:
• Rape, sexual harassment, acts of lasciviousness,
treating a woman or he child as a sex object,
making demeaning and sexually suggestive
remarks, physically attacking the sexual parts of
the victim’s body, etc.
• Acts causing or attempting to cause victim to engage
in any sexual activity by force, threat of force,
physical or other harm or threat of physical or other
harm or coercion.
C.) Psychological violence is an act that causes mental
or emotional suffering to the victim such as
intimidation, repeated verbal abuse, marital infidelity,
D.) Economic abuse is acts that make the woman
financially dependent, such as withdrawal on financial
support, destroying household property, etc.
What are the rights of Victim -Survivor?
• To be treated with respect and dignity
• To confidentiality
• To avail of legal assistance from the PAO or any
public legal assistance
• To be entitled to support services from the
DSWD and LGUs
• To be entitled to all legal remedies and support
provided by the Family Code;
• To be informed of their rights and the service
available to them, including their right to apply
for a protection order.
What are the remedies available to
victims of VAW?
• Criminal action;
• Criminal action with reservation of a
separate civil action;
• Civil action for damages; or
• Protection order without claiming
Who can file petition for protection
• Offended party;
• Parents or guardians of the offended party;
• Ascendants, descendants or collateral relatives within the 4th
degree of consanguinity or affinity;
• Officers or social workers of DSWD or social workers of LGUs;
• Police officers, preferably those in charge of women and
• Punong Barangay or Barangay Kagawad;
• Lawyer, counselor, therapist or healthcare provider of the
• At least two concerned responsible citizens of the city or
What are the 3 types of Protection
• Barangay Protection Order (BPO) is issued
by Punong Barangay / Kagawad; effective for 15 days
• Temporary Protection Order (TPO) refers to the
protection order issued by the Court on the date
of filing after exparte determination that such
order should be issued; effective for 30 days and
renewable / extendable.
• Permanent Protection Order (PPO) refers to
protection order issued by court after notice and proper
What is the purpose of Protection Orders ?
• to prevent further acts of violence against a
woman or her child
• safeguards the victim from further harm
• minimizes any disruption in the victims daily
• facilitates the opportunity and ability of
control over her life
What are the PENALTIES for VAWC?
• Imprisonment based on the provisions
of the Revised Penal Code
• Fine ranging from 100,000.00 to 300,000.00
• Mandatory psychological counseling or
psychiatric treatment for perpetrators
a. While the woman or child is pregnant; or
b. In the presence of her child.
• Influence of alcohol, any illicit drug or any mind-
altering substance is not a defense in cases
• Battered woman syndrome is a defense for the
woman, notwithstanding the absence of any of
the elements for justifying circumstances of self-
defense under the RPC.
• VAWC is a public offense and may be prosecuted upon the filing
of a complaint by any citizen having personal knowledge of the
circumstances involving the commission of the crime.
• No compromise on crimes involving VAWC.
• Any individual or police authority or barangay official who,
acting in accordance with law, responds or intervenes without
using violence or restraint greater than necessary to ensure the
safety of the victim, is not liable for any criminal civil or
• The Regional Trial Court designated as a Family Court has the
original and exclusive jurisdiction over cases of VAWC.
• All records of VAWC cases are confidential.
• The woman-victim is entitled to the custody and
support of her children.
• The DSWD, and LGUs shall provide the victims
temporary shelters, provide counseling, psycho-
social services and /or recovery, rehabilitation
programs and livelihood assistance.
• Victims of VAWC are entitled to take a paid leave
of absence up to ten days in addition to other
paid leaves under the LC and CSR. It is non-
cumulative ad not convertible to cash if unused.
• The DSWD shall provide rehabilitative
counseling and treatment to perpetrators
towards learning constructive ways of coping
with anger and emotional outbursts and
reforming their ways. When necessary, the
offender shall be ordered by the Court to
submit to psychiatric treatment or
• The amount necessary to implement the
provisions of this Act shall be included in the
annual General Appropriations Act (GAA).