• Input devices are used to enter data or commands in a form that
computer can use.
• They send the data or commands to the processing unit.
• According to type of the data they input , they can grouped into the
• Text input devices
•Pointing input devices
• Imaging input devices
•Biometrics input devices
7. Text Input Devices
• Keyboard :- Usually a standard keyboard has between 80 to 110 keys
• MICR Reader
• OCR and Optical Readers
• OMR and Barcode Readers
• Magnetic Strip Card Readers
10. • A scanner is a light sensing input device that converts the hard copy
documents, image or photograph to a soft copy(electronic version)
which can then be stored on a disk. The scanned copy( soft copy)
always in the form of image so its extension is .jpg/jpeg
• To scan the hard copy of any document it is required to install the
software in respective computer.
12. Biometric Input Device
• A biometric device translates a biological personal characteristic
into a digital code that is stored or compared with the digital
code that is stored in computer.
• Fingerprint Scanner
• Face Recognition Systems
• Signature Verification Systems
An output device is an electromechanical device that accepts data
from a computer and translates them in suitable form for the users.
• Voice response system
The printer is a device that print the text document and image on the
• Dot Matrix
• Laser Printer
A plotter is an ideal output device for architects, engineers, and others
who need to routinely generate high-precision, hard-copy, graphic
output of widely varying sizes.
• Drum Plotter
• Flatbed Plotter
• Screen image projector is an output device used to project information
from a computer on a large screen
• Like monitors, screen image projectors provide a temporary, soft-copy