• What is Perfume?
• History of Perfumes
• Notes in Perfumes
• Aromatic sources
• Manufacturing process
• Composition of Perfumes
• Reasons of using perfumes
3. What is Perfume?
• Perfume is a mixture of essential oils or aromatic
compounds, fixatives and solvents used to give the
human body, animal, food objects and living spaces a
• Initially it was used for religious purpose but now it
has become an ornament for both men and women.
4. History of Perfumes
• The Egyptians were the first who used perfume for personal enjoyment.
• The Greek used an extraordinary amount of perfume and each part for
the body they used a different fragrance for hygiene of the body.
• The Romans used perfume as a part of luxury.
• The oldest perfumery was discovered on the islands of Cyprus 40,000
• The hungarians introduced the first modern perfume made of scented oils
blended in an alcohol solution.
• France provided to grow aromatic plants for perfume industry with raw
• England and Germany also contributed a lot in modernization of
• In India,knowledge of fragrant materials was known from early periods
and mention of some materials can be found in books of medicines like
Charak samhita and Shushrata samhita.
• Some materials still used in perfumery that come from earliest period
like myrrh, camphor, musk, saffron, sandal.
5. Notes in Perfume
There are three types of notes:
Eg. Citrus, light fruits( grape, berries),
Eg. Rose, lemon, jasmine, nutmeg.