a picture has technical
value when it is
technically perfect with
proper light and shadow,
is free from smudges,
end is clean and clear for
YOUR COMPANY NAME 5
•a picture has editorial value when
it tells a story at a glance and
when it shows life happenings
and moments of truth and
• 1. The photo will not be reproduced as clearly as it was in its original form.
• 2. The photographer should be asked not to use a screen as intended for better photos like the ones used in
• 3. Flat, smudgy, greyish pictures or soft print that melts into the background should not be used.
• 4. Is the picture is great, it deserves to be played big; if the picture is ordinary, it needs to be played big.
• 5. Action picture are better than the "firing line" or "firing squad" and posed pictures.
• 6. Get glossy prints, not matte.
• 7. Get big prints for reduction.
• 8. Don't put picture back to back
• 9. Picture have moments of truth such as bunch of Filipino boxer Frank Gedano that knocked out Charlie Magri of
• 10. If you have to use group pictures, use it big to allow recognition of people in it, unless if it is crowd scene where the
crowd is more important than the expression of the faces.
• 11. Even a crash scene looks dead with only the plane shown or that train wreck pictured. People running away from it
or people rushing to it for rescue would make it lively.
• 12. Small pictures are ineffectual. Details and impact or lost. 13. The one-column long picture can be very attractive.
The following are reminders culled from a Philippine Press Institute handout as regards the
proper use of photos and graphs.
t's a photoengraving made
from an image photographed
through a screen and the
etched so that the details of
the image are reproduced in
fine dots with the darker
areas appearing as heavy and
concentrated dots and the
lighter areas as fine diffused
a.Newsprint- 65 or 85- line screen
b. Book paper-100 or 120- line screen
c. - 200 or higher screen
d. Old or faced picture- from newspaper or album- lower than 65-
this is a kind of
that contains and
prints solid lines
only and not shades
Pictures are cropped for two
reasons main reasons:
1. To eliminate the portions or
details which are either
undesirable or unnecessary
2. 2. To give more space for
displaying points of interest
intended to be played up..
1. Marking the front of picture
using Grace pencil or soft
China blue pencils (blue
does not show on the
2. 2. Cutting off the
3. 3. Using a window to
preserve the picture
ENLARGING OR REDUCING THE
SIZE OF A PICTURE
Procedure to Enlarge:
1. Draw a diagonal line in the area of the
picture to be enlarged (C-B).
2. 2. Extend the base as the desired width
of the picture (C-G).
3. 3. Continue the diagonal line up to F.
4. 4. The point where F and G meet is the
depth of the picture.
PROCEDURE TO REDUCE:
• 1. Draw a diagonal line from A and
D of the original picture.
• 2. Measure the required width on
the base (A-G).
• 3. Draw a perpendicular line from G
• 4. Connect E and F.
• 5. The distance between A and G is
the width, while the distance
between G and F is the depth of
the reduced picture.
10 RULES IN WRITTEN A CAPTION
1. All rules in news writing apply to caption
2. 2.Caption should be written and short
,pithy sentences say an average of 15
words for a sentence
3. 3. the basic question every caption must
tell of its picture are who? what? where?
when? and why? who are in the picture?
why are they doing? what are they doing?
where they doing it? why are they doing
4 .give the full Christian names of
first names to identify everyone in
the future be accurate when you
names people in the caption maker
who is who of course this cannot be
done for crowd sentence.
5. .A gay picture should have a gay
caption somber pictures should not take
with jokes march the caption with the
mood of the picture this is a question of
6.A caption in conventional it should
exploit the pictures potential interest
example queen elizabeth wearing a
special order white her husband Philip
the uniform of admiral this is should be
mention and the caption
7.caption should be supplement what it
seen they are not caption if they are
merly tell the reader that can see in the
picture showing the principal taking
should not a principal sentence taking
8. The captions with not contradict the
picture E.g ROTC cadets plants tree
seedlings. In la mesa dam during the
reforestation drive " but the cadets are
looking at the camera smiling and
9. Don't begin a caption with photo
shows especially if it really doesn't or in
the photo or this is totally unnecessary
10. When a picture accompanies a new
story explain the pictures in the caption
Mr. Pedro reyes who fire reported the.
fire but don't repeat in the caption
everything that mr reyes accompanying