2. PAUL YOUNG - BIO
• CPA, CGA
• Academia (PF1, FA4, FN2, MU1. and MS2)
• SME – Risk Management
• SME – Close, Consolidate and Reporting
• SME – Public Policy
• SME – Emerging Technology
• SME – Business Process Change
• SME – Financial Solutions
• SME – Macro/Micro Indicators
• SME – Supply Chain Management
• SME – Data, AI, Security, and Platform
• SME – Internal Controls and Auditing
Contact information: Paul_Young_CGA@outlook.com
SlideShare - https://www.slideshare.net/paulyoungcga
What is the Fiscal Management Cycle
What is governance?
What factors impact governance?
How can performance audits help with governance?
How to improve data ethics?
How to improve data literacy?
How to mitigate risk from geopolitical events?
Public sector is no island
Infused AI and Audit Management
PRESENTATION TITLE 5/30/201 3
4. WHAT IS THE FISCAL MANAGEMENT
PRESENTATION TITLE 2/11/20XX 4
What is financial management cycle process?
The Financial Management Cycle includes four phases that are essential for the overall
evaluation of the financial management of any firm. The four phases are Planning,
Budgeting, Managing Operations, and Annual Reporting.
5. FEDERAL GOVERNMENT – CANADA (FISCAL
PRESENTATION TITLE 2/11/20XX 5
Source – Government of Canada
14. FACTORS THAT IMPACT GOVERNANCE
• Ability of ombudsman, commissioner, auditor-general, and other key members of government to work
free of partisan appointment
• Government ability to provide open, transparent, and accountable reporting through financial statements,
fiscal management cycle, and performance and operational audits
• Ability of committees to work free of partisan politics as part of reviewing laws or spending bills or other
areas of government.
• Ability of government to make key appointments without partisan politics
• Ability of government to digitalize its government through use of technology as part of focusing on the tax
fairness and the delivery of program spending with value for money.
PRESENTATION TITLE 5/30/2021 14
15. HOW CAN PERFORMANCE AUDITS HELP
IMPROVE THE GOVERNANCE MODEL
• All levels of government provide key performance reporting in areas like accounting standards -
• All levels of government providing key performance measurements through SORP Reporting -
• Mandatory emergency and crisis management reporting including annual audit review by external and
internal auditors – https://www.slideshare.net/paulyoungcga/how-to-better-management-future-variants-
• Use of data and AI as part of automation of various audit programs -
• Various ombudsman, commissioner, and other groups reporting into committee and the house.
• Monthly updates of the fiscal management results including key areas like taxation and program
spending. This should include key targets, i.e., outcomes and results (Planned vs Actual)
PRESENTATION TITLE 5/30/2021 15
16. HOW TO IMPROVE DATA ETHICS
Data ethics is a branch of ethics that evaluates data practices—collecting, generating, analyzing and disseminating data,
both structured and unstructured—that have the potential to adversely impact people and society. It includes
addressing and recommending concepts of right and wrong conduct, with transparency in and defensibility of actions
and decisions driven by automated/artificial intelligence (AI) in relation to data in general and personal data in particular.
Source - https://www.turing.ac.uk/research/publications/what-data-ethics or
Global Standard / Data Ethics:
EUGDPR - https://edps.europa.eu/data-protection/our-work/subjects/general-data-protection-regulation_en
Data Governance - https://www.datanami.com/2021/01/21/governance-privacy-and-ethics-at-the-forefront-of-data-in-
PRESENTATION TITLE 5/30/2021 16
17. HOW TO IMPROVE DATA LITERACY
Blog – How improve data literacy for both the public and private sector?
What is data literacy?
That’s essentially how a data-driven business functions when there is no data literacy. If no one outside the department
understands what is being said, it does not matter if data and analytics offers immense business value and is a required
component of digital business.
By 2020, 50% of organizations will lack sufficient AI and data literacy skills to achieve business value.
“The prevalence of data and analytics capabilities, including artificial intelligence, requires creators and consumers to
‘speak data’ as a common language,” says Valerie Logan, Senior Director Analyst, Gartner. “Data and analytics leaders
must champion workforce data literacy as an enabler of digital business and treat information as a second language.”
As data and analytics becomes a core part of digital business and data becomes an organizational asset, employees must
have at least a basic ability to communicate and understand conversations about data. In short, the ability to “speak data”
will become an integral aspect of most day-to-day jobs.
I have done a lot of work on blogs and presentation related to how best to managed data: Top Reporting Challenges -
18. HOW TO MITIGATE RISKS FROM GEOPOLITICAL
The world needs a coordinated effort as part of mitigation geopolitical risks - https://globalriskinsights.com/
Global risks need to be assessed by both the private and public sectors - https://www.govtech.com/em/emergency-
blogs/disaster-zone/the-global-risks-report-2021.html. It is very important for both the private and public sectors to have
audited risk and crisis management reports. - https://www.slideshare.net/paulyoungcga/why-there-needs-to-be-audited-
World is moving more to a digital cloud base model. More needs to be done to mitigate security risks -
PRESENTATION TITLE 5/30/2021 18
19. PUBLIC SECTOR IS NO ISLAND
• Goal of government has always been to deliver program spending with value for money -
• Government ability to manage their taxation policies as part of protecting the environment while growing the
economy is a sustainable way will also lead to a stronger governance model. More oversight into planned vs
actual results related to key environmental targets and economic targets. This means all levels of
government need to adopt ESG reporting including setting standards for ESG reporting -
• Elected officials need to held accountable including enforcing balance budget acts or recall elections or
other areas that will provide people with a better governance model from their elected officials.
• Government needs to revisit its operational model as part of better management and oversight into taxation
and program spending - https://www.slideshare.net/paulyoungcga/the-importance-of-value-for-money-and-
PRESENTATION TITLE 5/30/202 19
20. VALUE FOR MONEY AND PERFORMANCE
• All levels of government need to re-look at the internal controls and testing including development AI and Data
models that get better safeguard assets.
• All levels of government need to invest in internal audit and risk base solutions.
• All levels of government need to work with auditors and departments as part of implementing changes
recommended in the audit reports. There should be status reports on each and every audit to ensure changes
have been implemented.
Here is a brief look at why value for money and performance audits are very important for all levels of
government - https://www.slideshare.net/paulyoungcga/why-are-value-for-money-and-performance-audits-
PRESENTATION TITLE 2/11/20XX 20
23. DEVELOPING A DATA STRATEGY
PRESENTATION TITLE 2/11/20XX 23
Blog – Driving Data Strategy as part of driving better Business Analytics to Improve Business Outcomes -