1. The Internet of Things
• What is the Internet of Things?
• Introduction to Basic Microelectronics
• The .NET Micro Framework (NETMF)
• Coding with NETMF (demos)
• Connecting your devices to the Internet
• Interactive Demo
3. What is the Internet of Things (IoT)?
• There is no clear definition of what the “things” are.
• Billions and billions of devices by 2020.
• Predicted $8+ trillion dollar market by 2020.
16. The .NET Micro Framework Origins
• Microsoft Research created the Smart Personal Object Technology
(SPOT) between 2001 and 2004.
• First products used in:
17. The .NET Micro Framework (NETMF)
• NETMF was released in 2009.
• Free and open-source.
• Consists of a subset of the .NET Framework.
• Versions NOT in sync with the other .NET Framework versions.
• Garbage collection
18. Working with NETMF
• You can use either C# or VB.NET.
• Support for Visual Studio 2010 and 2012.
• Beta support for Visual Studio 2013.
• Debugging on hardware (breakpoints, stepping into code, etc.)
• The runtime itself fits in as little as 64KB.
• Working within tight constraints:
• Available code storage (flash memory) as little as 64KB.
• Available RAM as little as 42KB.