SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
Here is a 'quickie' India Elections Quiz, set and presented on the day the 2014 Lok Sabha results were declared. The target audience was an Indian expat gathering in Hong Kong, who obviously were happy with the results, irrespective of their own political affiliations. What else can you expect from a capitalistic bunch of investment bankers and the like! The suit the mood, the quiz is also superficial and is a dipstick of the mood of the country and the quizzers. It is also not very original and has borrowed liberally from other quizzes, typically stuff in the public domain.
• What unprecedented event will these two be
part of on May 21, 2014?
• Only the second mother to watch her son
become prime minister of India (After
• This is Mahant Bharatdas, a school dropout,
who lives in the hamlet of Banej in the Gir
National Forest. Why is he called India’s most
• The only voter in the polling booth setup in
Banej (manned by 5 officers). He has voted
• The Legislative Assembly of this state has 111
seats of which 24 seats are kept officially
vacant as per Section 48 of the state
• Which state and why this curious
– These seats are designated for the territorial
constituencies of the state that lies in Pakistan-
• In February 1988 what happened for the first
and only time in Indian electoral history in the
Meghalaya assembly election featuring Roster
Sangma of Congress and the Independent
• The result was a tie with 2591 votes for each
• The returning officer invoked Section 65 and
Marak was declared winner on the toss of a
A popular slogan during the 1998 elections,
“Hai re Lucknow kya hua teri shaan ko,
Ek brahmachari ke khilaaf khada kar diya Umrao Jaan ko”.
Which two political opponents are being
• After the Supreme Court verdict of 27
September 2013, India became the 14th
country to adopt this practice.
• This is an improvement over the earlier
practice under Section 49 (O) of the
Conduct of Elections Rules, 1961.
• Jaspal Bhatti’s wife Savita floated a party
inspired by this.
• What are we talking about?
• This prominent Indian politician has
represented both the Cola companies
Pepsico & Coca Cola in different cases as
• He contested the elections for the first time
in 2014 but lost, thus putting a question
mark on his ministerial aspirations.
• He attended St. Columba's School, Delhi
before entering The Doon School.
• He worked at the Monitor Group, a
management consulting firm in London,
before establishing the Mumbai–based
technology outsourcing firm, Backops
Services Private Ltd.
• An IIT Kanpur – IIM Ahmedabad graduate and
Eisenhower Fellow, Prem Das Rai is the first
IIT-IIM graduate to be a Lok Sabha MP.
• He is the lone MP from his party and all set to
win this time.
• Name the party he represents and the state
he belongs to.
• BP Mandal giving the report on SC-ST
upliftment made by the commission named
after him to Gyani Zail Singh, the President.
The founder of this company was in the news
beginning of this year. How?
• Lagadapati Rajagopal is the founder. He was
the MP who used a pepper spray in
Parliament protesting over Telengana issue.
• He is supposed to have quit politics since.
• One of the big winners of this election, he
operated a boutique, the Psychedelhi, at the
Oberoi Hotel with Martand Singh in the 1960s.
• The clientele included the Beatles and it
ended up supplying clothes to such London
outlets as Mr. Fish and Annacat. It also led to
an association with Diana Vreeland, then
editor of Vogue.
The gentleman in the picture was a polymath
who has an equation, an institute in Kolkata and
a hostel at IIT KGP named after him. He
prepared the original plan for the Damodar
Valley Project. In the first Lok Sabha election, he
won from the Dumdum constituency as an
• Meghnad Saha (Saha-Langmuir equation, Saha
Institute of Nuclear Physics)
• Gilani in Pakistan. Mayawati in up - 5 year
terms in 2013 2012
• Completion of 1st 5-year terms:
– Gilani in Pakistan
– Mayawati in UP
• Who was the first member of the Nehru-
Gandhi family to contest and win an election
from Rae Barely in 1952?
Which former IAS officer and a black belt
judoka had a famous run-in with Modi in
the early years of the 21st Century?
Modi used to call him by his full name to
highlight the fact that he was a Christian.
He was the Chief Election Commissioner of India from
2001 to 2004, recipient of Ramon Magsaysay Award
for Public Service in 2003.
• What were the election symbols for the
Pakistani political parties
a) Tehreek-i-Insaf (led by Imran Khan)
b) Tehreek-e-Tahaffuz-e-Pakistan (led by AQ Khan)
in the Pakistan general elections that were
held in 2013?
Rath Yatras - 1
• The rath yatra is now a standard mode of
elections campaigns in India with several
leaders choosing this mass contact
programme to win over the electorate.
• Who undertook the pioneering ‘rath yatra’
which besides catapulting him to power also
entered the ‘Guinness Book of Records’?
• “Three AKs — AK-47, AK Antony and AK-49
(Arvind Kejriwal) — had emerged as Pakistan
commanders on the Indian side”, Modi said at
a poll rally in Jammu’s Hiranagar, barely 5km
from Pakistan border.
• What was the AK-49 in his speech?
• This company was established in 1937 by Nalwadi
Krishnaraja Wadiyar and is currently state-owned.
It is the largest producer in Asia of a certain
product that it started making in 1962, that has
been used successfully by over a billion people,
and is exported to several developing countries in
Asia and Africa. The product has a very short
shelf life and is therefore made-to-demand.
• Identify the company and product.
• Mysore Paints and Varnishes Private Ltd.
(MPVPL) makes the indelible election ink.
• He holds the record of winning every election
he has contested in his entire political career.
• He named one of his sons, born on March 1st,
1953, after a famous world leader who died
just four days later, on March 5th.
• Name both father and son, very much in the
news in victory and defeat.