Rand's presentation on the biases of cultural conditioning in the marketing world, and how history and media nudges marketers to make bad choices (along with loads of tactical SEO, social media, and content marketing tips).
1. Rand Fishkin, Wizard of Moz | @randfish | firstname.lastname@example.org
The Invisible Giant
That Mucks Up Our Marketing
2. “If anybody dares to step outside of the box, the
retaliation is swift. I have to say, after 50 years of
feminism, the retaliation against “tomboy” girls has
softened some over the years. The retaliation to
“mama's boys” and “sissy boys” is just as violent now
among peers as it has always been.”
- Terrence Real, Author of I Don’t Want to Talk About It:
Overcoming the Secret Legacy of Male Depression
25. Over Time, Effectiveness Improves!
26. Solution: Focus on Potential;
If you’re here after three
months of work, you’re on a
powerful trajectory, even if it’s
not ROI-positive yet
30. Can You…
Scan HTMLcode for basic functions?
Pull data viaAPIs inside Excel?
Insert code snippets with Google Tag Manager?
Audit websites to find technical issues?
Use web crawl tools to export desired data?
Test Google’s indexation of a page’s content?
54. Search Marketing in 2017 Has to Consider:
Google Maps (& Local-Biased Results)
YouTube (originating searches & in GG results)
Which SERP Features Show For Your Keywords
Amazon, Facebook, Reddit, Bing
Where Search Demand Originates
55. Ranking well in Image
Search often doesn’t bring
much traffic or value
56. But… If you’re in a
commerce is tied to
visuals, it can be
57. Likewise, if lots of
want your visuals,
ranking here can
yield loads of links
58. Text in images is one way to draw in clicks
for the right kinds of queries
81. Focus on Signal:Noise Ratio – Don’t Let Bad Pages
Drag Down a Good Site
Quantity of Pages
Earning SERP Visits
Relative Time on Site,
Bounce Rate, Pgs/Visit,
82. 3 Options for Pages Like These:
1) Improve them
2) Remove them (404)
3) Redirect them (301)
90. 16 Features Every SEO Should Consider:
SERPFeature Type How toGet In