1. Steven H. Cohen
1496 Midway Parkway | Saint Paul, MN 55108 | (651) 442-3573
CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
• Strategic: Big-picture thinker with an owner’s point of view.
• Track record: Successfully positioned companies for growth (Intellevate), turn-around (SoftBrands) and IPO
• Seasoned perspective: Involved in M&A and other financial transactions totaling over $250 million.
Experience ranging from start-ups to mid-size public companies. Outlook beyond a singular financial
• Hands-on operational savvy: Direct involvement in the sales process and professional services
management. A collaborative leader.
• Resourceful: Lead by example, with a “Can Do” attitude, regardless of challenges, mentoring along the way.
• Broad & flexible span of control: Experienced in leading teams large and small, across all aspects of
financial operations, including building teams from scratch as the organization requires.
• Financial sophistication: Experience with debt and convertible debt placements, M&A, IPOs, and other
recapitalization and exit strategies.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Team-building Private investor relations FP&A International financial operations
SEC Reporting Budgeting and forecasting Revenue recognition
Debt management Software industry Change management
Professional services administration Pricing strategy
INTERNATIONAL DECISION SYSTEMS, INC. ENTERPRISE SOFTWARE
Private Equity Acting Chief Financial Officer, Jan 2011 - Present
Corporate Controller 2007 – 2010
Currently acting CFO while also holding Corporate Controller position. Sole senior financial executive for the world’s largest
software vendor serving the equipment leasing industry (approximately $50 million in revenue). Responsible for worldwide finance
• Managed the company’s S-1 registration process.
• Developed the structure of the largest sale in the company’s history, for a total value of $12.4 million.
• Reengineered the sales quoting process, improving speed and accuracy while eliminating a role.
• Planned and managed the disposal of a UK business unit.
• Manage the relationship with the company’s debt-holders (Goldman Sachs/Wells Fargo Foothill).
Key accomplishments in this role include turning the “Accounting” department into a “Finance” department which
provides meaningful and strategic information and analysis.
LAWSON SOFTWARE ENTERPRISE SOFTWARE
Acquired by Infor in 2011; formerly NASDAQ: LWSN Director of SEC Reporting, 2007
Recruited into a short-term role to specifically manage the external reporting for international ERP software vendor (approximately
$700 million in revenue). Drafted and filed 10-Q and several 8-Ks.
• Supported a $200 million private debt placement (Lehman and Citigroup) with accounting and deal structure advice, and
handled all SEC requirements.
• Partnered with Corporate Development group on numerous M&A analyses, resulting in the disposal of two European units
and the acquisition of a European reseller (~$15 million).
2. INTELLEVATE, LLC SAAS SOFTWARE/BPO
Acquired by Computer Patent Annuities, Ltd. Chief Financial Officer, 2005-2006
Principal financial executive of start-up Business Process Outsourcer of legal services and ASP software provider, serving the
intellectual property space. Responsible for all financial and administrative functions.
• Managed the transition from start-up business within a law firm to independent division of the world’s largest patent
renewal processor, roughly doubling in revenue and staff.
• Developed the group’s first formal one-year budget and five-year plan.
• Built accounting, IT and HR functions from scratch post-acquisition.
• Transitioned US accounting functions to Indian finance group, creating a “paperless” office.
• Initiated contract review resulting in a 51% increase in recurring license revenue.
As CFO, I managed the explosive growth of a start-up with operations in both the US and India.
SOFTBRANDS ENTERPRISE SOFTWARE
Acquired by Infor in 2009; formerly AMEX: SBN Treasurer, 2003-2005
Corporate Finance Director 2002 – 2003
Corporate Controller 2001 – 2002
Senior Financial Analyst 1999 – 2001
Senior financial manager for international ERP software company ($70 million in revenue). Responsible for corporate treasury
function; risk management; establishment of company-wide accounting policy and controls; international tax planning; and tax,
audit and budget management. Directly involved in worldwide consolidations, managing banking relationships and managing
outside legal staff.
• Implemented company’s first standard reporting system, consolidating over 20 subsidiaries.
• Responsible for all SEC reporting, including the company’s 12(g) registration statement.
• Managed the process of $23 million private placement debt offering (with Capital Resource Partners), advising on structure
and accounting complexities.
• Supervised worldwide corporate reorganization, into and out of Chapter 11 bankruptcy.
• Managed currency risk, both economic and financial, for over 20 subsidiaries.
• Analyzed numerous M&A opportunities, and supervised integration of several small acquisitions, all <$20 million.
In my six years with this organization, I performed virtually every executive finance function there is and learned
the enterprise software industry inside and out.
• University Club of Saint Paul, Controller 1997 – 1999
• Lincoln Dels Organization, Controller 1995 – 1997
• Independent Fundraising and Non-profit consultant 1991 - 1994
• Treasurer, Board of Directors, Eureka Recycling
• Member, Board of Directors, The Chank Company
University of St. Thomas, MBA (GPA 3.89) Minneapolis, MN
University of Minnesota, Carlson School of Management (GPA 4.0) Minneapolis, MN
Oxford University, St. Edmund Hall Oxford, England
Macalester College, BA (GPA 3.75) Saint Paul, MN