Work Life Balance:
“A woman based study of selected Public
and Private Sector Banks of Rajasthan”
Under the Guidance of :
Registration No. (RS/288/16)
University of Kota, Kota (Raj.)
Agenda of Research Work.
Chapter-2 REVIEW OF LITERATURE
Chapter-3 THEORETICAL ORIENTATION
Chapter-4 RESEARCH DESIGN & METHODOLOGY
Chapter-5 DATA COLLECTION AND ANALYSIS
Chapter- 6 RESULTS AND INTERPRETATIONS
Chapter-7 CONCLUSION, MANAGERIAL IMPLICATIONS AND
DIRECTIONS FOR FUTURE RESEARCH
Work life balance is a broad concept including proper prioritizing between “work” (career
and ambition) on one hand and “life” (Health, pleasure, leisure, family and spiritual
development) on the other.
“Balance between an individual’s work and their life outside work.” –National Framework
Committee for the promotion WLB.
- Was first identified in 1986 in US
It does not mean equating out work against life.
It does not mean assigning equal number of hours to
professional work and personal activities.
I t is not an exact science.
• Work Life Balance means spending 50% of time at work and 50%
of your time at home.
• Work life balance is synonymous with work-family balance or
family support v/s work life balance.
•It's a one-time achievement.
Work-Life Balance as ‘achieving satisfying experiences in all life domains, and to do so
require personal resources such as energy, time, and commitment to be well distributed across
‘Satisfaction and good functioning at work and at home with a minimum of role conflict’-
SCOPE of the Study:
RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODOLOGY
Quantitative , Exploratory Research Design
STATEMENT OF THE PROBLEM-
There is presence of work life imbalance among female employees working in
Public and Private sector Banks of Rajasthan .
The present study is confined to banking employees in Rajasthan only.
•The female employees who have been working in selected public and private sector
banks were considered for the purpose of the study.
• H1: “There is a significant difference between work-family balance and women’s work
status of women in the Public and private sector Banks.
• H2: “Rewards have positive impact on Work-Life Balance which vastly affects the
• H3: “Work life balance factors like long working hours and extra workload etc. affect
the work quality and personal life of workers.”
• H4: “Work life balance has positive effect on job satisfaction among the working
women in banking sector and reduces the attrition rate.”
• H5: “Intervention of personal over professional life and vice versa has negative impact
on the performance of employee.”
• H6: “The working environment in Banking sector is healthy.”
Samples has been collected from the 4 Public and 4 Private Sector banks
• Total Questionnaires : 410
• Received Back : 368
• Questionnaires Considered for Analysis :360
. Tools used for Data Analysis
• Standard Deviation
A ( Analysis of variance )
Number of Working Hours
WORKING HOURS Public Sector Banks Private Sector Banks
6-8 Hours 145 (80%) 80 (44%)
9-10 Hours 27 (15%) 86 (48% approx)
Sufficient Family time
Have sufficient Family
Public Sector Banks Private
Yes 81 86 167
No 99 94 195
Importance of Work Life Balance in Life of Working Woman
Work Life Balance improves the performance level
WLB increases the turnover of the banks.
Work Life Balance effects the Attrition rate 249
employees highly agreed.
Obstructions in managing Work life balance : 35% of the
employees marked social obstructions followed by
psychological( 27.5%) and the economical and rational.
Working Environment in Banks
Working Environment in Banks
BENEFITS of Work Life Balance
Improved business results
Better teamwork and
Reduced labour turnover
Attract / retain employees
✓ More value and balance
in daily life
✓ Increased productivity
✓ Improved relationships
both on and off the job
✓ Reduced stress
✓ An overall healthy life style
It was interpreted that there do not exists the difference between public and private sector
banks women employees with respect to Work Life Balance (WLB) in their personal life
and professional one.
It was seen that the good work life balance results in better turnover of the organizations.
Healthier work life balance of employees produces effective workforce that is more
productive and rewards act as booster for the effective workforce.
Long working hours and work stress or over burdening decreases the quality of work of
employees and their personal lives.
Good work life balance creates a sense of job satisfaction and reduces attrition rate.
The private sector female bank employees work under more pressure as compared to
that of public sector banks they feel more stressed because of workload and less job
security and job demands.
The Private sector banks have elongated working hours which creates hindrance in
their family lives whereas the public sector women employees are somewhere satisfied
with this factor.
The various factors of WLB which banks should take care like paid maternity leaves,
childcare facilities, flexible working hours etc. in order to keep their staff happy and
1. Maintaining a Work life balance between personal and professional life is very much important and is
the responsibility of both organizations and individuals.
2. A good wok life balance gives the sense of job security to the employees and reduces the attrition
3. A good healthy family support is very much required for the Healthy work Life Balance.
4. Banks must work upon the policies and facilities, employees were dissatisfied about the timings and
leave policies and childcare facilities in both the sectors.
5. A good Work Life Balance Programs and policies should be inculcated in banks to raise the outputs
and healthy personal life.
6. Senior staff needs to cooperate and understand the problem of employees.
7. The bank environments must be improved and turn out to be lenient leaving red-tapism and rigidness.
SCOPE FOR FURTHER RESEARCH
• The research undertaken is only restricted to female employees.
• Only selected banks of Rajasthan state have been chosen for study.
• In future research can get more generalized if the sample size is increased.
• Other service sectors ,hospitality, healthcare etc.
Balance is Beauty
•Achieving balance in both your work and personal livesallows you to perform
optimally in both areas.
•We need to find the right balance that works for us individually.
•To achieve balance –
Concentrate on One Thing at a Time.
Respect Your Time
Remember that the work/life balance can mean different things to
different people. It can mean different thing to you too at different point of
Learn to Better Manage Your Time-avoid Procrastination
Let Things Go. (Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff)
Learn to say no.