SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
Content of a CV
Create a Winning CV
• Personnel Details
• Statement of Career Aims (optional)
Careers Service • Education & Qualifications (most recent first)
St. Patrick's College • Employment History (action & results)
• Achievements/Positions of Responsibility
• Interests/Other activities
CV Formats General Guidelines
• Chronological – Short (1-2 pages)
– Organised-information easily extracted
• Skills based – Focused-only what is relevant to current position
- functional – Highlight aspects of your experience-supportive of
- targeted your application
– No irrelevancies-sex, marital status
• A Compromise
– Presentation-unbound, quality (white/off white)paper,
printed and proof-read
Use Positive Language
Active verbs & Accomplishments
Active Verbs + Excellent communication skills
planned, completed, designed, selected, arranged, – adequate communication skills
developed, managed, prepared, organised, facilitated.
Accomplishments + managed
– Organised publicised & conducted…………. – coped
– Designed & ran………….
– description of results: + succeeded
• Increased use of …………… – tried
Create a Winning CV 1
Presentation Guidelines CV Content
• Use year (2002-2005) not day/month Personal Details
• Do not abbreviate (‘02) • Not necessary to write Curriculum Vitae at top.
• Use Bold or Italics to highlight: Degree, Job Titles • Name (in large font)
• Use bullet points • Contact details: Term & Home Address/telephone
• Avoid use of personal pronoun ‘I’ • Mobile Phone-have a professional message on phone
• Restrict CV to 2 pages
• Type name in bold and size 12/13 font
• Remainder in 10-11 font
• Use white bonded A4 paper
CV Content CV Content
• Start with most recent
• Start with most recent (eg)
• Summer 2004 (omit exact dates-17 June-23 August)
• 2005-present Postgraduate Diploma in Education • Include job title and employer’s name and city ( not necessary to
• 2002-present B.Education/BA in Humanities include full address). e.g.
• St Patrick’s College, Dublin • 2003 -present Outreach Art Teacher National Gallery of Ireland
• List Degree subjects/electives + e.g.Music (first year) • List duties/responsibilities
• Thesis Title (if relevant) • Conducted research in N.Gallery on selected paintings, prepared
and facilitated short discussions & follow-up workshops relevant
• Overall Grade (if known or results pending) to the theme of the paintings in Dublin primary schools on behalf
• Leaving Certificate (not essential to list subjects unless of the N.Gallery.
CV Content CV Content
Skills profile Interests/Achievements
• present skills under appropriate headings Group interests into:
• Computing • Sporting
• Word Processing (Word 2000/97) • Cultural
• Spreadsheets (Excel ‘98)
List activities currently involved in & with level of interest
• German: Written-professional level
Oral- fluent e.g. Captain of Meath Soccer Team
• Teamworking indicate how this developed Member of National Youth Orchestra
• Communication ditto Mention any awards.
Create a Winning CV 2
CV Contents Sample CV
2007 Postgraduate Diploma in Education
• Two Referees (academic and previous employer) (primary)-St Patrick’s College, Dublin. H2:1
• Seek permission from referees Course Description
• Be Selective (relevant to job being targeted) Education 111: Teaching Practice and preparation for
• State Title: Principal/ Head of Department teaching. Classroom assessment, philosophy and sociology of
education, Children with Special needs, Mathematics
• Include contact details: address, Phone, email education, Teagasc na Gaeilge, Teaching Studies, SPHE,
Digital Learning. Teaching Practice and Preparation for
Elective subject: Drama.
Sample CV Sample CV
Education 11: Art & Drama in Education, Music, PE, History of • Teaching practice 1:
Education, Digital Learning, Psychology of Education, • Divine Word N.S., Rathfarnham, Dublin.
Sociology of Education, Crriculum Religion, Teaching Studies, • Teaching Practice 2:
Curriculum English, Teaching of Reading, Mathematics,
Teagasc na Gaeilge, Curriculum Geography, History & Science, • St. Ita’s N.S., Ballymun, Dublin
Teaching practice and preparation for teaching. Teaching Practice 3:
St Mary’s N.S., Tallaght, Dublin.
Education 1: Intellectual Development, Teaching Studies, The
Teaching Profession, Religious Education, Early Childhood
Education, Reading, Teagasc na Gaeilge, PE, Drama & Art
Education, Music Education, Preparation for Teaching Practice,
Sample CV Sample CV
• 1995-1998 BA (1998) 2.2 honours-University College Cork. • Voluntary Work
• Subjects: Mathematics and French, Geography (first year) • 2006 Tutor, Ballymun Comprehensive, Dublin.
• 1995 Leaving Certificate St Angela’s College, Cork Provided one to one tuition in Mathematics to Leaving
Certificate students. Gained experience of working with
• English (B1) Irish etc disadvantaged pupils.
• Skills Profile Communication: Can speak and write clearly, excellent
• Employment History presentation skills.
• Organisational: Organised graduate recruitment
programme, successfully produced shows and organised
• 2004-2005 Substitute Teacher, St Raphael’s School, Dublin 9. classes for different levels of ability.
Taught third class. Teamworking: Developed through work & leisure
• 1999-2004 HR Assistant, Bank of Ireland, Dublin. activities.
Responsible for graduate recruitment and induction. Computers: Microsoft Word 8.0, Excel 7.0, SPSS.
Languages: Fluent French. RELSA Certificate in TEFL.
Create a Winning CV 3
Sample CV Cover Letter
• Interests & Achievements
Tennis- member of Carlow Tennis Club.
Theatre-Member of Sutton Players, directed and acted in • Paper A4 white, off white
Film-particularly international films giving insight into
• One page
Structure • Education 1: Intellectual Development,
Teaching Studies, The Teaching
• Four parts: Profession, Religious Education, Early
• Opening- state position applying for and Childhood Education, Reading, Teagasc
where advertised & introduce yourself na Gaeilge, PE, Drama & Art
• Why Them target the letter to them Education, Music Education,
Preparation for Teaching
Practice, Teaching skills
• Why You indicate how you satisfy their
• Ending CV enclosed, availability for
interview, you look forward to hearing
from them, signature.
Create a Winning CV 4