SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
Family guy Come Fly
• The Guardian - Come Fly with me
Representation - key
• Is it stereotypical / counter typical?
• Is it positive / negative?
• Who is doing the representation?
• To whom?
• What messages and values are attached to
• What is ethnicity?
• Are these typical
Ext: Why do we
What is ethnicity?
• Racial stereotypes - the stereotypes are
based often on ‘social myths’ perpetuated
• There may be a grain of truth but many
stereotypes have been over generalised and
• Many are racist and offensive
• Different minority ethnic groups are generally
under represented in TV Dramas.
• Are racial stereotypes reinforced or
challenged in TV drama?
What stereotypes can you think
• Can you think of any instances where film or
TV has challenged those stereotypes?
Gang culture and black people is a frequent stereotype
Black and asian people as immigrants are featured
Working class black youths are commonly stereotyped as criminal, a
stereotype which is spreading to Asian youths too.
With black youth in particular, we often see heavily Americanised
characteristics through language, dress and musical tastes for
White wealthy upper class is a frequent stereotype
You may also get white racist characters featured
The most negative stereotype, of Muslim Asian/Middle Eastern characters, is
actually very similar to an old stereotype of the Northern Irish: violent,
backwards, religious, fanatical.
Since 9/11 certain ethnic groups - Muslims - have been negatively represented.
Religion is often involved in ethnic representation – look out for religious figures
being negatively represented and non-religious figures being treated more
The whole question of Britishness and citizenship is often
Indeed, Western v non-Western (in terms of clothing, social attitudes – eg
towards women and alcohol – religious practice, music etc) can be a key binary
opposition to look for.
• To create on a word document 3 positive
ethnic representations and 3 negative ethnic
representations from TV.
• For homework :
• How are these three characters represented
• You must refer to the 5 key questions.