Meaning: to decide something firmly
Example: You must determine whether you will drop this class or not.
Meaning: of or for your body
Example: She was in constant physical pain because her leg was hurting her.
Meaning: friendly, thoughtful. Antonym = mean, harsh
Example: She is a kind person because she is thoughtful.
Meaning: unhappy. Antonym = sad and cheerful
Example: Denice got a divorce because she was miserable in her marriage.
Meaning: to teach or train somebody
Example: A mother always tried to educate her children by reading them books.
Meaning: to get ready or to make something or somebody ready
Example: You have to prepare yourself for your exam by studying in advance.
Meaning: giving help. Antonym = unhelpful
Example: The lady at the office was helpful and offered to help me with everything.
1. He ___________ many young people to take up the sport.
2. Five lucky ___________ will each receive a signed copy of the album.
3. The long distance ___________ was for 10 miles in Kuwait.
4. Once you graduate from school, you must _________ what college to go too.
5. You should take Panadol if you have ________ pain so help you.
6. I was lucky to have a _______ sister that loves me so much and is helpful.
7. If you are ________ or unhappy, then maybe you should do something about it.
8. It is important to ______ your children from a young age so they learn new knowledge.
9. Before you bake a cake, you should ________ the ingredients to bake.
10. The secretary was very _________ and she helped the students enroll to classes.
Fill in the blanks with the words in the box in order to complete the sentences
about each picture.Use the verb(s) in the correct verb tense.
In this lesson, you will read about the talented artist Frida Kahlo. Let us
first meet some of the most important things about her.
Frida Kahlo was an artist born in 1907 and died in
1954. She is a Mexican and was born in Mexico. At a young age
she had a serious disease (Polio) that damaged her right leg forever.
However, she was clever and determined artist and went to the top
schools in Mexico. She was put on the front cover of Vogue Magazine
, which is impressive. Frida Kahlo is inspirational artist to all
and has made about 200 works in her life.
Past Continuous Grammar Rules
*Use the past continuous to talk about actions in progress at a time in the past.
She was living in Berlin in the 1990s.
* Form the past continuous with the past form of be + –ing form of the main verb.
Subject Be ( + not) Verb + -ing
+ I/He/ She/ It Was
You/ We/ They Were
- I/He/ She/ It Wasn’t (was not)
You/ We/ They Weren’t (were not)
Working?was I/He/ She/ It
were You/ We/ They
1. We were traveling to Mexico.
2. We weren’t traveling to the United States.
3. Were you traveling by car?
Yes, we were. / No, we weren’t.
Past Simple and Past Continuous
*Use the past simple for a finished action or series of actions in the past.
1. The doorbell rang, so I put down my book and answered the door.
*To talk about an action in progress when another shorter action happened, use the past
continuous for the action in progress.
Use the past simple for short action. This action can interrupt or stop the longer action.
- I was reading my book when the doorbell rang.
Notice the difference between these two sentences:
- He was speaking when the phone rang.
- (He was speaking. Then the phone rang).
- He spoke when the phone rang.
- (The phone rang. Then he spoke.)
Correct the mistakes in these sentences:
1. My mother leaved school when she was fourteen.
2. Did she started a new job last year.
3. When did you born?
4. Last weekend my brother marryed his girlfriend.
5. We did not had a lot of money last year.
6. “Did they have a good holiday?” “Yes, they had.”
7. We eated a lot pasta last night.
8. She went to university at 2006.
Put the verbs into the correct form (past progressive).
1. Yesterday at six I (prepare) ______dinner.
2. The kids (play) _______in the garden when it suddenly
began to rain.
3. I (practice) _________the guitar when he came home.
4. We (not / cycle) ________all day.
5. While Aaron (work) _______in his room, his friends
(swim) ____in the pool.
6. I tried to tell them the truth but they (listen / not)
7. What (you / do) _________yesterday?
8. Most of the time we (sit) ___________in the park.
Correct the following phrases to make them correct
Incorrect Time Expression Correct Time expression
1. In 9:00AM
2. At 2015
3. Living at 2014
4. In 12 o’clock
Put the following verb into the correct verb tenses:
1) What (do) ____when I (call) ______you last night?
2) I (sit)______ in a cafe when you (call)_________.
3) When you (arrive) _______at the party, who (be) ________there?
4) Susie (watch) _______a film when she (hear) _______the noise.
5) Yesterday I (go) _________to the library, next I (have) __________a
swim, later I (meet) _________Julie for coffee.
6) We (play) _______tennis when John (hurt) _______his ankle.
7) What (they/do) _______at 10pm last night, it was really noisy?
8) He (take) ______a shower when the telephone (ring)__________.
9) He (be)_________ in the shower when the telephone (ring)______.
10) When I (walk)_______ into the room, everyone (work)________.
1. I was listening to music.
2. We were eating a pizza just now
3. Samantha and Laura were driving late.
Make the following affirmative sentences into questions: