SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez nos Conditions d’utilisation et notre Politique de confidentialité.
SlideShare utilise les cookies pour améliorer les fonctionnalités et les performances, et également pour vous montrer des publicités pertinentes. Si vous continuez à naviguer sur ce site, vous acceptez l’utilisation de cookies. Consultez notre Politique de confidentialité et nos Conditions d’utilisation pour en savoir plus.
Use many, and much to talk about large quantities and
many animals much food
* We use many countable plural nouns
* We use much uncountable nouns
Many animals are in danger because there isn’t much food for them.
* We use a lot of with both countable and uncountable nouns.
A lot of animals are in danger because there isn’t a lot of food left
A lot animals A lot food
few tigers little hope
Use few and little in affirmative sentences to talk about small quantities
and amounts. They mean ‘not many/ not much’. Use few with countable
plural nouns and little with uncountable nouns.
•Few and little small quantities/amounts
•Use few with countable plural nouns
•Use little with uncountable nouns
There are few tigers in the world.
There’s little hope for some animals.
Complete the following sentences using many or much to express quantity. Read
the box below to help you recall what we have covered. First, decide whether the
nouns are countable or uncountable, then complete the sentences with one of the
expressions of quantity:
1. There is too ______________ water in the bath tub.
2. How ______________ brothers and sisters has Anne got?
3. I don’t receive ______________ letters nowadays.
4. How ______________ rice do you eat per week?
5. I put too ______________ salt in the soup.
6. How ______________ people were at the party?
7. It doesn’t make ______________ sense.
8. There wasn’t ______________ traffic on the motorway.
9. How ______________ plates do we need?
Little Expression of quantity Countable plural nouns
Much Few A lot
Fill in the sentences below with the words in the box below:
1. ____________________________ expresses the amount or quantity of
something. We use many with ___________________________.
Meanwhile, use ______________ with uncountable nouns and is only
used in negative sentences! Meanwhile, ______________ can be used
for countable and uncountable nouns. To express something as
small quantities, then you would use few and little, which mean
‘not many/ not much’. Remember that ____________ is used with
countable plural nouns and as for little, it is used with
Decide whether you have to use a little or a few.
1. ____________ apples
2. ____________ rice
3. ____________ bicycles
6. ____________ money
7. ____________ dogs
8. ____________ time
9. ____________ sugar
10. ____________ cups